Chapter 9

Axl's body falls onto the hardwood floor of my bedroom with a loud thud.

"You could've used the front door you know!" My sides already hurt from laughing at him.

He climbed up the side of the house by the wooden trellis! It's a miracle that he didn't hurt himself in the process.

When I saw his face right outside my window, I screamed.

"Yeah well, I didn't know if your parents were here or not. I didn't think they'd appreciate me comin' over and being friendly at this hour."

Axl holds out his arm, and I help pull him up from the ground.

"They're not here," I tell him again. "My dad has a work thing and my mom tagged along. My brother and sister are at our aunt's."

They all left an hour ago, and ever since I've been anticipating Axl's arrival.

"So they don't know I'm here?" He asks.

"No. I didn't think it would go over well myself," I shrug.

Michelle doesn't know anything either. My parents think she's here right now, but really she's out God knows where with a potential boyfriend. I'm supposed be covering for her.

We've both got our own secrets I guess.

For a moment, I think Axl is mad that I haven't been very honest. But then he grins and shakes his head.

"You're sneaky, Chas. Who knew you had it in you."

I scowl up at him. "I've broken the rules plenty of times before." Like when I kissed you.

"Sure you have," Axl teases.

I notice his eyes wander beyond me, looking around.

"I've never been in your room before."

I don't say anything as I watch him walk towards my vanity.

His eyes brush over the pictures I have framed of Michelle and I, and the lipstick tubes that are neatly lined up. How the drawers of my dresser are slightly off kilter from being old and stuffed with lots of clothes over the years. The posters on the wall beside the window that cover the faint pink paint. My bedspread that matches. The stand up mirror in the corner near my closet that has magazine cutouts of Madonna and various ads stuck to the sides. My bookbag beside it.

He looks at everything that shows I'ved lived here my whole life, smiling every so often. Except I can't figure out if it's of amusement or not.

This is probably the first time he's been in a teenage girl's room since he was a teenager himself.

"If it's too girly in here we can go downstairs."

I had no idea that showing Axl my room for the first time would be awkward, but here we are.

He shakes his head. "It's fine."

"It reflects you perfectly. Everything."

"Oh, thanks." I smile quickly, hoping to fill up the silence. "How was the drive here? I hope it wasn't too bad."

Axl gives me a look as he leans against the wall on his side, crossing his arms. "It was fine, Chas. Stop worrying about me. I'm here to hang out with you because I want to." His voice is soft even though he speaks at a regular volume.

"I just don't want to inconvenience you. I know my stupid high school drama is nothing compared-"

"Chaaassss," Axl whines, laughing. "Don't invalidate your own problems. Just get on with it! I wanna know already, doll."

"Okay, okay."

I gather my thoughts as I go to sit down on my bed. Then, I launch right into the entire story, starting at the beginning of the day with Dylan's presence lurking all over school, to our actual conversation in P.E., and then the end of the day in independent study.

One thing Axl doesn't know is that I leave out the extremely embarrassing part-when Dylan decided to jab low and bring up my virginity and how Axl probably took pity on me.

Based on his nods and facial expressions as I give him the play by play, I know Axl pays close attention to what I'm saying. This, I appreciate.

He actually cares. Wow. Michelle, who's an actual teenager doesn't even give this much of a shit about it. But Axl does. The twenty-something rockstar that has a million things to do does. What a good friend he is.

Once I'm done, Axl and I are both silent.

He sits backwards on the chair at my vanity now, his arms resting on the back. He shrugs his shoulders. "There's nothing to do now except kick his ass."

I'll be honest-I ponder on that for a heartbeat. Michelle did suggest the same thing yesterday. "He's on the football team. I wouldn't even be able to get in a punch!"

"I would be the one throwing the punches."

I can feel my eyes widen. "No! Axl, you can't beat him up! You'll put him in the hospital! You could be arrested-I don't want you to. I don't want you to go to jail, and I don't want you to hurt him, or anyone."

Axl appears to be a little disappointed at that. I think I see the corners of his lips form a tiny frown. "Fine, fine. I just want you to be done with dealing with him, that's all."

"God." I moan, falling back onto the mattress. "Me too."

I sigh, staring up at the ceiling. It seems like we're both at a loss of what I should do now.

"There is one thing we could try. It's less physical than me giving him a black eye," He chuckles quietly.

I look at him. "What is it?" I can't even try to hide how intrigued I already am.

"It doesn't involve Dylan. Only you and me."