Chapter 32

"We're with the band."

"Sure you are."

The bouncer at the door must be at least six and a half feet tall. Maybe even taller.

It's hard to say. I'm too frazzled to really care.

He laughs, not budging one bit.

"We are!" Michelle insists. "And it's not like we need tickets, or an invitation to get in. Do you really think Guns N' Roses are that coordinated? They're a mess," Michelle says. "I would know! Let. Us. In."

"I'm not letting two little teenagers in to a rock n' roll party. Now get lost!" The bouncer barks at us, waving at us with his hand before crossing his arms again, unfazed.

The worst part of this situation is that we're the only people out here. Everybody's already inside the warehouse Guns N' Roses have turned into a full on party. Everybody except us, thanks to Michelle and I's inability to know where we're going. We drove in circles for what felt like ages. Frances was supposed to come too, but she had to catch a last minute flight to New York.

"C'mon," I whine, starting to panic. "We're an hour and a half late! We're supposed to be here. You can get anyone inside to confirm that we are who we say we are, I promise!"

"Yeah!" Michelle nods vigorously. "Get the band! Get their manager, Alan! Get Mandy Brixx, or Adriana Smith, or, or-"

While trying to see over the bouncer, I nearly scream at who I catch a glimpse at.

I'd recognize that top hat anywhere.

"Slash!"

Michelle gasps, immediately calling for him too. "Slash!"

"Hey! I'm gonna call the damn cops if you two don't beat it-"

"Slash, help us!" All the flashing lights and commotion inside make it difficult to make him out, but I swear I can see him. A confused Slash, standing just a few feet away.

"Slash! It's Chas and Michelle! Help!"

I watch Michelle drop to her knees, and scramble in between the bouncer's legs. He goes to grab her, yelling, but she's too quick. Michelle shoots up to her feet the second she's inside, booking it.

As the bouncer chases behind her, the two of them heading right for Slash, it leaves the way inside completely open. I simply walk right in, my shoulders shaking with laughter as I walk over to where Slash is arguging with the bouncer.

"What are we even payin' you for, man?! These girls are some of my best pals!" Slash slurs slightly as he drapes his arms over Michelle and I's shoulders, pulling us close.

"Told you so!" Michelle and I both scowl.

"Now c'mon, girls! Let's go find everybody!"

Slash pulls us away with him, weaving us in and out of people. The place is packed, full of fans and friends and the odd assortment of business people, probably from the record company. They stick to the outskirts, talking amongst the other important men in suits. Nearly everyone else has a drink in their hand, and I spot what must be the open bar across the way. A sound system is set up, and an INXS song plays loud throughout the whole space. The air is thick with cigarette smoke. It reminds me of Axl, and when I remember that he's here somewhere, it gives me butterflies.

I start to get really nervous, actually. Slash and Michelle laugh and talk loud next to me as I look all around, my mind racing. It's been days since I've seen him.

He doesn't even know the news yet. . .

"Chas! You look sick, doll!" Slash laughs over the lyrics of "Need You Tonight", his hand squeezing my shoulder.