Chapter 20

(3rd Person POV)

"This is a bad idea, Duff. They can handle themselves."

"Well if they're not comin' out, then we're going in. I don't care if we embarass them, Axl. They shouldn't be out at a party like this anyway."

Duff and Axl's strides match as they walk up the long drive to the house that corresponds with the address Michelle gave. Already, the sounds of the party going on inside are booming, and Duff wonders why he's the one about to be shutting it down, and not the neighbors.

He starts shaking his head then, anger filling his insides. So much so, that he stops in his tracks, hands running through his blond hair. "I can't believe them! God, they've got me out here, at a highschool party to pick their asses up! It's almost one."

Axl rolls his eyes, sighing deeply. He's not thrilled himself, but jeeze, could Duff relax a little? This is the same guy who stays out till eight A.M., high out of his mind, Axl thinks to himself. I know the girls are a soft spot, but seriously. . .

"She told me Chas could've been throwing up. . . She's just a kid, Ax!"

I need a fucking drink. "Yeah, and we're here now, so are we gonna go in there and get her and Michelle or not? Look man, I'm worried about 'em too. I don't want them doin' anything bad. But sitting out here having a panic attack isn't gonna help us."

Axl so badly wants to see Chas, and make sure she's okay. When Duff was screaming in the car about everything Michelle did and didn't say, Axl couldn't press on the gas any more than he already was. They ran through two red lights.

Duff just nods. "You're right. Okay. Ugh, fuck. I hated high school. Let's go, damn it."

The second the two of them step through the slightly ajar front door, kids stare.

No one gets in their way, or says anything. It's all in their expressions-confusion, curiosity, even fear.

"I hate this," Duff grumbles the second he passes by a girl in a huge frilly prom dress, who spills some of her drink down the front of it as she stares.

"Are we just gonna wander around like a parade or some shit, or should we ask somebody if they've seen 'em?" Axl murmurs back, praying Duff can hear him over Billy Idol. If he talks any louder, he's afraid people's heads will spin all the way around.

"Ugh, fuck."

It's another two minutes before Axl rolls his eyes at Duff again, and marches up to the closest group of kids. "You know Michelle and Chasity?"

They don't look up at first, but after a few awkward seconds, one of them, a girl, pays attention to Axl, and just behind him, Duff.

"You talkin' to me?"

"Yeah. You know Michelle and Chasity?"

"I'm their brother," Duff adds.

Axl shoots him a look at that.

"Oh." The girl looks back and forth from Duff to Axl, a smile growing on her face. "Yeah, I know them! They were just in the backyard. Dylan Reynolds attacked Chasity, and Michelle threw her shoe at him!"

"She knocked him out. You should've seen it!" One of the girls nearby adds. "Chasity put up such a fight! It was crazy."

In this moment, Duff feels like he's detatched from his body. Like this can't be happening.

Axl can't even process it. His mind is blank, until vivid fantasies of bashing in Dylan's skull fills his head.

"Excuse me-What the hell?!" Duff shouts now, screaming right into Axl's ear.