Chapter 2

Duff is the first band member to greet us before we can even set foot on the lawn.

Michelle and I both jump as he sticks his head out of the van next to the sidewalk right as we walk by.

"Boo!"

Michelle slaps Duff once she regains her bearings, and I start laughing.

"Ow! You haven't seen me in a week and this is how you treat me?"

"Yes! You can't just scare people like that," Michelle scolds him.

"I thought it was funny! And so did Chas!" Duff laughs at me laughing.

"'Cause it was!" I agree.

"Now help me with the guitars. I was waiting for you two to get home this whole time."

Michelle is already stomping off towards the steps that lead to her front door, leaving me to help Duff.

"She's cranky today." Duff says as he hands me a Les Paul before somehow managing to get himself out of the van without help.

"Only because you're here."

Michelle's brother is basically her twin, except for the fact that he's older and a guy. Their hazel eyes, and wavy kind of curly blonde hair are all the same.

The only huge difference is their personalities.

Michelle is more sarcastic but still very outspoken and confident, while Duff is reserved and thoughtful unless he's been drinking.

And trust me, consuming alcoholic beverages is one of his favorite activities.

Oh, and Duff is very tall. He stands at six foot three, while Michelle can't be anything over five foot five.

"You're probably right. But at least you don't hate me too," Duff teases.

"Of course not."

We both head up to the house, Duff carrying two guitars and a small amp under one arm.

"How was Seattle?" I ask. Duff just spent the last few days there, playing music with old friends and trying to coordinate shows for the band.

He loves it there, since it was where he spent most of his childhood.

I distinctly remember Duff being twelve years old right when they moved in, and hating everything about California.

A few years ago, there was a big possibility about the whole family moving back. It never happened, but tensions were high for a while. Duff was all for it and Michelle wasn't at all.

"It was great. Much better than the last time you were there," He chuckles.

I recall the time that I tagged along for a few weeks one summer up to Washington. A few days before we were going to head back down the coast, we were on a boat, on Lake Washington. The skin and muscle on Duff's arm got taken off in a freak accident, but luckily the doctor was able to sew him back up and make his arm as good as new.

I remember when we saw Duff's arm that day. Michelle threw up and I cried.

Now that the visual is in my head once again, I cringe. "I hope so. Did you do everything you wanted to?" I refer back to his plans for the band.

"Yeah! I'm really happy with it, we have three gigs set up for a few clubs in a couple weeks. Now I've just got to convince Axl it's worth it."

"You'll be able to. He might be stubborn but I'm sure he'll agree after some persuading." I tell Duff as I walk into the house, heading towards the basement. I set my backpack down near the front door.