2.4

'you love our permanent chase and the bite of our bark.'

(valentine - 5 seconds of summer)

-

"There," Celia sighed in content, reaching for my wrist which acted as support as she stepped down from the ladder, "Not too shabby, eh?" She took a step back, admiring her work as I pulled my coat tighter around me, also watching the wires that hung from the front of the house, now. 

"And three, two, one," she flicked a switch, the entire house illuminated in a captivating display of lights.

"Wow," I breathed. "they're beautiful. Thank you, Celia," I hugged her tightly as she sent me a grin.

"It's my pleasure, darling - right - I'll be back with Harry around eight, okay? I'm off duty tonight," she chuckled, squeezing my hands in hers before taking off down the drive.

"See you," I called, unable to hide my smile as I rushed back inside.

It was Christmas Eve, at last, and the annual Levin dinner party was taking place. All it seemed to consist of was I had never looked forward to it, but this year; the idea of welcoming in Christmas day with my boyfriend and my best friend brought a grin to my face that wouldn't subside. 

"Anastasia, is that you?" a familiar call sounded from the kitchen, and I sighed, trudging through the doors.

"Yes, mother?" I tried to stifle the frustrated groan I was tempted to make audible whenever she spoke to me.

She was made-up already - though she typically was for her everyday life, she'd brushed some gold onto her eyelids and some red onto her lips, and there was no denying she looked beautiful. If it hadn't been for the bitter gaze her eyes held; she would've looked like a real mother; a beautiful, happy one.

"When are you planning to get ready?" she asked pointedly, "The party is in a few hours - I hope you found something appropriate to wear, I don't expect anything flimsy. And what friends of yours have you invited? I hope-"

"I'm on my way to get ready now, Mother," I sighed, folding my arms at her arched eyebrows rising at my interruption, "yes, I have something to wear, and yes -  my friends Tasha, and Harry are coming." I bit my lip.

"I've never heard of those two, let alone met them," she scoffed, preparing to tell me they couldn't come, before I shook my head.

"Well, you'll meet them tonight, won't you?" I frowned, spinning on my heel and heading upstairs to get myself ready for that night. 

I turned the shower on, stepping under the immediately heated water and letting the temperature instantly relax my tense muscles. The droplets coated my hair and my body, and as I rubbed my vanilla shampoo into my scalp, I began to wonder how tonight would pan out. Neither Tasha or Harry had met my parents directly - but it wasn't Tasha I was worried about; it was Harry. I knew it was unlikely he'd meet my mother and father with a smile on his face and his hand outstretched for a shake, but as far as my parents knew - he was 'only a friend' of mine. If this went smoothly, it would make it far easier to make our relationship known.

After I rinsing the remaining conditioner from my hair, I wrapped a towel around myself and exited the bathroom. I took a seat at my vanity, staring at myself in the myself in the mirror. I didn't consider myself ugly; I didn't consider anybody ugly. But it wasn't a rare occurrence that the insecurities took over and I'd doubt my appearance - like anyone. The one person who allowed me to lose that doubt was Harry - his constant claims that I looked beautiful, that I looked good boosted my confidence to say the least. And then I didn't care what anybody thought of me; I knew I was beautiful to him.