3.6

'and she might help me forget that loving her is something i just couldn't do - because i had you.'

(because i had you - shawn mendes)

-

A.

"Are you sure about this?" Tasha asked me as I pulled the straighteners through my hair, glancing a final time at my reflection in the mirror.

"You're giving me deja vu here, Tash," I chuckled, standing up from my chair and spinning around, displaying my look to Tasha and Luke.

"You look so hot," Tasha grinned which I returned, smoothing the dress down a little with my hands.

"Shit, Ana, you look-" Luke began, quickly cut off by Tasha's fist connecting with his chest, "like a respectable woman."

I burst out laughing, "Gee, thanks, Lucas," I chuckled, putting a smile on my face, "You two ready?"

"I still don't think we should go," Tasha shrugged, standing up from the bed, "it's not a bad thing to be hung up on Harry."

"I'm not hung up on him," I lied, "I just haven't been out for a while, y'know? Now, come on - you too, breadstick - you're driving."

"I told you not to call me that," Luke huffed, standing up and immediately towering over us two girls, "Plus - I'm pretty sure I'm like, 6'2 at best."

"Whatever you say - will you just drive?" I begged as Tasha pouted at her boyfriend from beside me.

"She's right, babe - you said you'd drive at lunch today, plus, it's already nine," she whined at him, wrapping her arms around his torso and pressing her lips lightly to his throat for a moment.

I tried not to sigh audibly as I tugged my lip between my teeth. I wasn't jealous, as such - I could just feel this lingering envy on my shoulders which always seemed to make an appearance in times I should've been feeling happy for my best friend. The simplicity of her joy always brought me back to my months with Harry - the way my arms would wind around his torso and his hands would discreetly travel down to squeeze my bum, and when I'd squeal he'd capture my lips in a strong kiss, grinning widely against my lips as I giggled, pecking my lips repeatedly before finally breaking the kiss.

"Ana?" I was snapped from my thoughts, "You coming?"

I looked up, "Huh? Oh - yeah, let's go."

The three of us made our way downstairs out to Luke's truck, and I hopped into the back of it, as usual, Luke resting his palm lovingly on Tasha's bare knee as I sat in the back - Tasha shooting me a smile in the rear-view mirror as Luke started up the engine, beginning to ramble about how he 'didn't deserve detention next Friday with Mrs Jones' because 'all he did' was question every single rule of trigonometry, calling her 'uneducated' when she didn't have the answers.

As we pulled up to Louis' house, a sense of familiarity settled in the pit of my stomach, which only built alongside the feeling of unease - the familiarity; I'd been to this house a thousand times throughout the duration of Louis and I's friendship, since his house was so big, we'd often hung out there most weekends. But then there was the unease that came with a party in general - but one at Louis Tomlinson's house? A person who found genuine joy in my discomfort and upset? What appeal had I even found in that?

It failed to cross my mind as I undid my seatbelt and clambered out of the backseat of Luke's truck, following Tasha and Luke inside as their hands were entwined. The loud pulsating of the music could be heard from where Luke had parked down the street, and the closer we neared to the house, the louder the blast from the speakers. The door was unlocked, of course, and I swung it open to lead Tasha and Luke inside - I knew my way around Louis' place better than they did, obviously, and so they followed my lead into the kitchen.