Thirty-Seven

Vicky's Pov

I took off running in the opposite direction of my apartment. No looking back, I just kept running. The voice in my head is on repeat until my legs can no longer carry me, they feel like jelly and my chest is on fire, it doesn't help that I'm super unfit, with the occasional smoke. I can't catch my breath and it's only making me more light headed.

I'm being stupid, running from Luke and his questions, it doesn't mean I can run from the situation. After running for what feels like forever, I come across a park. I've driven by here a couple of times with Jamie, but I've never actually been here.

Only once I sit down on a patch of grass under a tree, do I realise where I was headed. Jamie's studio was in this direction. I facepalm myself, how stupid am I for running from Luke to Jamie when Jamie and I had just broken up because of Luke? I mentally rake myself over the coals as I watch the people who seem to be going about their own lives. I reach for my phone and when I come up empty, I sigh. I don't know where the damn thing is. I refuse to cry and let the emotion take over as I try and calm my thoughts.

I've been here for a while and as I make to stand, a familiar voice comes up behind me and my body instantly tenses.

"Victoria, is that you?" I turn and see Tristan standing there in running clothes with his earphones in. The relief floods through me and I can't help but smile at Tristan. I haven't spent that much time talking to him, but from what I know, he's a pretty cool guy.

"Tristan. Hey." He walks over to me and sits down next to me.

"Are you okay? Mel sent out an alert for a missing you." He chuckles and I groan, crap.

"Yeah, I'm good. I think they're overreacting honestly. I mean, can't a girl get away for a bit?" I try and joke and he politely smiles back. When he pulls out his phone I freeze, "No!" quickly falls out of my mouth before I can stop it. He eyes me questioningly.

"I just need to stop the music." My laugh is awkward, to say the least.

"Yeah, no of course," I try and laugh it off.

"Did you not want me to let them know that you're okay?" His question is a reasonable one and yet I feel like I'm unable to answer it. My smile falls and I sigh again, what am I doing?

"No. not yet at least. As I said, they're overreacting." And at that moment I'm grateful that I don't have my phone, with them calling and texting me.

We sit in silence for a while as we continue to watch people. When Tristan's phone goes off, he reads the text and with a heavy sigh looks at me and I feel guilty for putting him in this situation.

"It's Mel, they really seem to be worried, they want to go to the cops and file a report." He eyes me and I sigh in defeat. The peace that I felt sitting here was never going to last very long.

"Yeah, I guess it's time to go back."

We got up and started walking, only then did I realise how far I had come and how late it is now, the sun is ready to set in the distance.

"You know, they really care about you and they really seem to be worried." Tristan is the first to speak. I contemplate walking back and if I want him to walk with me.

"Yeah, I know. They're really good friends." In a moment of brilliance, I look at Tristan, "I hope you know how special Mel is, she's probably the best one out of the group." Tristan laughs and the faintest blush crawls over his face.

"Yeah, she's pretty special. I actually think I'm in love with her..." he pauses as he changed into a tomato. "She is something new, really different to what I'm used too." I smile and I can't help the happiness I feel for Mel.