Fifty-Five

Vicky's Pov

I guess I must have dozed off at some point too because when I open my eyes we were almost home.

"Would you like some coffee or something?" I ask Jamie after he sets down my bags. I never had a problem with Jamie being in my flat, but now the room just felt a little too small.

"No, thank you. I gotta get back to the studio, apparently, there is some trouble with one of the pieces that need urgent attention." I nod and rub my arms as I walk Jamie to the door. I wrap my arms around Jamie's shoulders as his arms circle my waist.

"Thank you for a great weekend," I smile as I step back, feeling a new emptiness creeping inside of me. Jamie dazzles me with his smile.

"Thank you for getting my parents' marriage approval." He laughs and winks as he walks down the hallway. I close the door and face the empty apartment.

When I walk over to the window and watch as Jamie's car pulls onto the lazy Sunday road, there is a buzz, "Miss Graham, you have a delivery." I roll my eyes and consider pretending not to be here, who delivers on a Sunday anyway.

I quickly hurry down and when I get to reception, Henry hands me a large bouquet of lilies and my breath is stolen, I grab the flowers and walk back upstairs. Once I set the flowers down, I expect it to be from Luke or Stephanie, but my body goes cold as I read the card,

'Understated beauty with overpowering elegance, always reminds me of you, XOXO, E.' I drop the card and take a step back.

I start to freak out. I grab my phone and my car keys, I need to get out of here, but where would I go? I think carefully, I can't run to Jamie not after he had just left me here and I can't go to Steph. I rapidly text Mel and sit down in the corner of the couch, impatiently waiting for a response. I make sure the door is locked and Mel replies to say she's coming over with Tristan, I almost feel like I can breathe again. Being alone and panicky is never a good combination.

The next day I go to work and all thoughts of the flowers and Eric seem to be evaporating as work continues. Carl and I have been in meetings since I walked in this morning and my brain is buzzing with ideas.

By the time lunch comes around, I find my way to my office and Carl offers to join me. We sit at my desk and talk about my trip and his recent holiday with his wife and go over a few more projects. As lunch was about to end, a delivery of black and white roses are brought into my office.

"You are one lucky girl Vicky. These are gorgeous." I feel a slight panic gripping me.

I can barely ask Stacey, the girl who works at the front desk, "Who they are from?" I feel the blood drain from my face at her reply.

"There's no card, and the delivery driver just confirmed the name and address of delivery." She smiles as she places the flowers on the cabinet in the corner.

I guess Carl notices my change in mood and makes to stand. "Well, I better get back to my corner office, before they think I left the country or something." He laughs and just then Peter O'Malley walks in with a board and a folder.

"Hey Vicky and Mr Steinburg, I'm sorry to interrupt. Woah! Nice flowers. I was told you need these for the meeting later?" I take the board of the Leaderman account and I look over it with Carl next to me.

"This is well done. You guys are doing great." Carl praises Peter and I smile,

"I like it, I think we may need to work on some of the colour palates though." I set the board and folder down on my desk. "I'll forward feedback down shortly," I tell Peter and the two men walk out of my office.