Forty-Two

Vicky's Pov

By the time the day ended, I had managed to wrap up 3 of the accounts I was working on, my mind working at the speed of light and yet time seemed to slow down every time I thought of Luke's question.

I shut down my computer and walked to Carl's office just before the day ended, I wasn't sure what I was going to say, but I was lightly tapping on the door before I could think about it.

"Come in." His voice boomed and it slightly startled me.

"Hey Carl," I peeked around the door to see if he was busy. He looked up at me and flashed his handsome smile.

"Victoria, come on in. I keep telling you that you of all people don't need to knock." He laughs and I joined in. Carl was a very nice man, he was young and enthusiastic but he was also very focused and enjoyed getting to know the people he worked with.

We often spoke more casually at the company functions and his fiancé was a wonderful woman, beautiful with the drive to match his own. They made a lovely power couple.

"Are you busy? I just wanted to check if you got the emails about the accounts." I stepped into his office, trying to figure out what to say next.

"Yes, I did. This is why I love having you on my team Victoria, the accounts were only due next month, but you completed it today and it is up to the same standard as all your other work. I'm afraid of ever losing you." He grimaced at the idea and I laughed. I loved working here, the people were great and amount of free reign I had was amazing, considering my position and my experience.

"I wouldn't even dream of it, Carl. Anyway, I'm off for the day, I'll see you tomorrow." As I turn I get ready to turn and walk towards the door, Carl asks me the relevant question.

"That's great, go home and rest, but have you thought about taking some time off? I don't want to burn you out. Your flame is really bright." I stop as I think about the look on Luke's face this morning, I nod.

"Actually, I think I may take you up on that really soon, like maybe Friday?" I feel silly, like a small child asking for dessert before dinner. Carl walks back around his desk and sits down, the chair makes he seems even larger and more powerful.

He seems to think about it for a moment, "It's a bit short notice." He says. I know it is. It's ridiculous to even think about, "How long would you need?" The question doesn't seem that farfetched but I momentarily freeze.

"Um, about 10 days?" that should be more than enough time. He thinks about it a moment longer and gives me a curt nod.

"Bring me the paperwork tomorrow and I'll sign it for you. Just as long as I know you're coming back." I burst out laughing as I nod, smile and make a graceful exit.

My hands are shaking with excitement and the impulsivity of it all. When I walk out of the building, the breeze seems a bit chillier against my hot skin, the adrenaline coursing through me. I easily spot Luke standing across the road, looking so sexy in a grey coat, black skinny jeans and black converse.

He's about to cross the road when he looks up and I catch his eye. He immediately smiles and I start walking closer to the curb as he jogs across the road.

"Hey Young Skywalker, you're on time." I can't stop the face-splitting grin threatening to do just that to my face.

"Well, I can't keep you waiting and I figured, the sooner I get here, the sooner we can eat I'm starving." He laughs and I jab him with my elbow.

He smells like heaven, the earthy scent of rain mixed with him, when he throws his arm around my shoulder, pulling me in close, almost like he's marking his territory for anyone who cares to notice. I admit to myself that I don't totally hate the idea or the implication.