Chapter 1: Horrible news and heartbreak

When I opened the door to the guild I turned and coughed into my elbow. I have had a bad cough for a while but I was heading to the doctors today. I would have Wendy check me but she and Carla had been off on missions and I didn't want to bother her.
"Hey Luce Happy and I have a mission, it's perfect for you rent" Natsu beamed running up to me and I smiled a little at the salmon haired boy.
"Sorry Natsu, I can't go today. I have a doctor's appointment to see why I have been sick" I explained as I coughed again.
"Oh....Okay then we will wait until tomorrow, do you want us to come with you?" Natsu offered and I shook my head.
"Nah its okay you guys can go on the mission" I said and he shook his head.
"We will wait.....I actually wanted to talk to you later. Can you meet me at the cherry blossom tree at the park?" Natsu asked and I nodded.
"Sure I'll see you later" I said waving as I turned and left. I was going to talk to Mira before I headed to the appointment but now that Natsu and Happy had spoken to me I didn't have time.

Sitting in the waiting room I sat there with my knee bouncing up and down nervously.
"Lucy Heartfelia" the doctor called and I followed her to her office.
"So lets see your test results from last week are back, now so lets get and see what is going on" Dr Kain smiled and I nodded as she pulled up my file on her lacrima.
"Oh...Oh my" Dr Kain gasped.
"What is it?" I asked confusedly, looking at her.
"I am sorry to tell you this Miss Heartfelia but you have what we call Magic cancer" Dr Kain told me.
"W-W-What?" I asked confused and it felt like the floor had dropped out from underneath me and everything had stopped.
"Magic cancer is a cancer unlike any others, there is only 2% of people that get this sickness but it affects your magic, draining it away...." Dr Kain explained and I completely zoned out. I can't remember anything else she told me about.
"I have written down the address to a specialist for this situation, I have also assigned some pain killers because it is going to get painful" Dr Kain said and I nodded before getting up and getting the script before I left and headed home.

I don't remember the journey home but I got to my apartment and my legs gave out on me and just sat there staring at the ground. Magic cancer. I had read about it before and there was only about a twenty percent chance for the person to survive, it affected a person's health as well as magic. First it starts to eat away the internal organs before entering the bloodstream and finally drains all magic out of the person killing them slowly and painfully. If I started the treatments that are a special type of chemotherapy then there was still only a twenty percent chance that I would survive, would I be able to take the pain and hurt that came with fighting this disease? Closing my eyes and letting out a sob I felt tears dropping onto my hands as I cried. Why? Why did this have to happen to me now, I had family now in fairy tail and friends in the other guilds. We had just finished fighting Mard Geer and we nearly got broken up but we didn't so why did this have to happen? Turning I looked at the clock and saw that it was nearly three o'clock, Natsu would be waiting for me and just thinking that made my stomach drop. What was I going to tell Natsu? He was my best friend, the person that brought me to Fairy tail and more importantly I love him more than anyone in my life. Getting up I wiped away the tears and then made sure I looked alright before I headed out to the park. I didn't even walk on the water's edge, making the people on the boat confused.

"Hey Luce come on" Natsu called  and I looked up seeing Natsu standing near the cherry blossom tree. Happy must be back at the guild or at their house.
"Hey Natsu," I said.
"So what did the doctor say?" Natsu questioned looking at me and I opened my mouth. How could I tell him that I was dying? How was I meant to tell my crush that I was dying after all we had been through together?
"Why don't you go first? You wanted to tell me something, didn't you?" I suggested trying to avoid it.
"Okay, I don't know how to say this Luce and I asked a lot of people about how to do it but I like you Lucy. Like more than friends, in fact I think I love you" Natsu bashfully told me and my eyes widened in shock. I couldn't even believe it and I tried to open my mouth and say something, anything but I felt tears fall down my face.
"Luce? Is that a no?" Natsu asked and I shook my head.
"Then what is it?" Natsu questioned as he hugged me tightly to his chest, trying to calm me down.
"N-N-Natsu......Natsu" I sobbed clenching onto his vest crying.
"Come on Luce come on talk to me, I don't know anything unless you speak to me" Natsu said and I looked up at him as he looked at me sadly.
"Natsu....I-I'm dying" I whispered looking at him and his eyes widened.
"What are you talking about?" Natsu asked, confused.
"The doctor....She told me I have Magic cancer, it's an illness that eats at my organs and magic. There is only a twenty percent chance of me surviving" I whispered, clenching onto him even harder hoping that he wouldn't leave me because of this.