Chapter 14: The dragon gate

The next morning Lucy woke up earlier then anyone else and she managed to wiggle herself out of Natsu's arms even as he grumbled and curled around her pillow instead making Lucy have to stop herself from giggling. After having a warm bath and soaking Lucy got dressed for the day and brushed her hair before grinning as she summoned Cancer, who nearly burst into tears at seeing his princess, to do her hair perfectly before he left. When Lucy got to the kitchen she called Virgo out who asked for her punishment with more emotion then normal making Lucy shake her head and once again denying to hurt her friend and asked Virgo to help cook breakfast.
"Take care princess" Virgo said before she disappeared once all the food was on the table.
"Mm morning" a voice mumbled in Lucy's ear and she turned her head seeing a sleepy Natsu with his hands around her waist and his head on her shoulder.
"Morning breakfast is ready, the other should be up soon" Lucy smiled.
"Mm Happy is still sound asleep" Natsu said as he kissed Lucy's neck and she sighed and relaxed into him.
"I'm glad you are okay Lucy, I didn't know what I was going to do if anything happened to you, there have been so many times that I have lost you" Natsu whispered, tightening his arms around Lucy's waist.
"I know Natsu, I worry about you as well but I don't mind being in danger because I know no matter what happens if it gets too bad you will be there to help me just like I will help you if you ever get into too much trouble. You wake up Gray and Happy I will wake Erza up okay?" Lucy smiled as she turned and gently placed her forehead on Natsu's. Natsu nodded before pecking her on the lips and went to the bedroom to get Happy first.

Soon enough they were around the table eating breakfast, Gray and Natsu firing insults at each other before Erza glared at them and they acted like best buddies. Lucy and Erza spoke about Jellal and Natsu and about how they were as boyfriends while Happy was fine eating the fish he had.
"I have to head to the station, Juvia should be there soon and I don't want to make her wait. Last time I did that she went on about how I was abandoning her" Gray sighed sweat dropping.
"Just make a move on her already" Natsu called.
"Shut up you damn lizard" Gray yelled blushing.
"What, are you embarrassed, ice princess?" Natsu asked as they butted their foreheads.
"Okay guys that is enough no fighting in my apartment, I think you should at least give Juvia a chance. Gray perhaps you will actually like her once you get to know her a little better and maybe it will calm her down" Lucy suggested while Erza nodded along with it.
"Fine I'll think about it, see you guys later and I will let you know what Sting and Rogue say" Gray said and they waved him goodbye.
"I am going to contacted Jellal, it is actually today that we call each other, thank you for the food and the sleepover" Erza thanked with a smile and Lucy nodded and waved her off.
"I'm going to see Carla" Happy decided before he flew off leaving Lucy and Natsu.
"We should head to the guild. I want to talk to Laxus, Gajeel and Wendy" Lucy sighed, stretching her arms and Natsu nodded.
"W-Would you um like to go on a date? I mean I always hear you girls gushing over dates and that, so I thought maybe you would like to go on one" Natsu said looking away with a blush and Lucy blushed as well.
"I would like that," Lucy replied and Natsu grinned.
"We will have to wait for next week though, I have to plan it out so it's perfect. Let's go to the guild. I have to speak to Mira" Natsu said, grabbing Lucy's hand and intertwining their hands before basically dragging the blonde celestial mage behind him but she was smiling happily.

When they got to the guild Natsu instantly made a beeline to Mira who was behind the bar making drinks and serving food.
"Ah Lucy, Natsu, what can I do for you?" Mira questioned in a near squeal at seeing their hands joined.
"Ah Blondie, Gramps wanted to see you" Laxus remembered with a yawn as he leant on Mira like Natsu was doing to Lucy that morning.
"Of course thank you Laxus" Lucy smiled before she headed up to the office while Natsu asked Mira for her advice for the perfect date to take Lucy on.

"Master, you wanted to see me?" Lucy called knocking on the door.
"Of course my child, come in" Makarov called back and Lucy opened the door and walked in and blinked seeing Master Mavis and Zeref there as well. The fairy tail mages all knew that Zeref was once Mavis's friend when she was alive and he wasn't evil but he did use dark magic.
"What is it you need Master?" Lucy questioned eyeing Zeref carefully but there was no judgement in her eyes, just a curiosity and confusion.
"I owe you a large apology, I am sorry" Zeref apologised, making Lucy blink as he bowed to her.
"I....I don't understand," Lucy said, even more confused.
"The cancer and deterioration potions that were given to you were out of the book of Zeref. I apologise deeply I never wanted this to happen with the spells and potions that I had created" Zeref explained, not looking to get up any time soon.
"Please, it's fine, you can't be blamed. The people who gave me the potions are to blame not you" Lucy said, shocked and also embarrassed.
"I still owe you an apology, I never should have made that book" Zeref whispered but he was no longer bowing.
"Everyone makes mistakes Zeref, you know that and you are making up for it by hunting down all of your books and monsters to seal them away" Mavis gently smiled.
"Before I leave I want to give you this Miss Heartfilia, take it as an apology" Zeref said and Lucy blinked and took the book before both Mavis and Zeref left out the window.
"What is that book about, child?" Makarov enquired looking curious and Lucy turned it over and looked at the cover before opening it and gasping.
"It's a book about celestial magic including celestial dragon slaying, it also tells me about the different keys, this is amazing" Lucy gushed, smiling like a kid in the candy store.
"I am glad, I have heard from Dr Asha that you have been cleared to use magic. I will be watching and having the rest of the guild watching over you so you don't over do it" Makarov warned in a tone that showed he truly cared for Fairy tail like a family.
"I know but Erza suggested I get Freed to make some runes maybe on a bracelet so that if my magic gets down to a certain point it will not let me use any more. That way I don't overwork myself and it will also be easier than the guild watching over me, I don't want to put anyone out" Lucy explained looking at the ground.
"Lucy, child look at me" Makarov ordered and Lucy looked up.
"You are a treasured member of the fairy tail guild. We all care for you, some more than others, but you are part of our family. If watching over you keeps you safe then so be it, that is a little price to pay to keep you safe. Now I am sure you want to talk to Wendy, Gajeel and Laxus," Makarov smiled and Lucy smiled and nodded before heading down the stairs.

When she got there she looked around seeing Gajeel, Laxus and Natsu sitting at a table and they seemed to be having a serious conversation so instead of interrupting their conversation Lucy headed to the bar ordering her regular strawberry milkshake. She sat at the bar with Mira, Wendy, Happy and Carla though the two exceeds were a little down the bar Happy seemed to try and ask Carla out once again.
"Hey guys, where is Panther lily?" Lucy questioned
 "He decided he wanted to do some extra training, something about needing to get stronger" Carla answered with a sigh and Mira, Wendy and Lucy giggled about the tough exceed.
"So Lucy, how has it been staying in the same house as Natsu?" Mira enquired with a sly grin and Lucy blushed as did Wendy but Lucy also had a small goofy smile on her face.
"I feel really safe with him and Happy there, it's like if they are there, there is no way anyone will ever hurt me again. I don't really understand what it means but I am happy to be with him" Lucy explained while taking a sip of her milkshake.
"I know what you mean, when Laxus stays the night I always feel safe and warm. Like nothing can burst into our little bubble and I have noticed lately that I seek out that warmth even if we are in the guild" Mira smiled, that explained the hug when Lucy and Natsu first came to the guild.
"So where is Levy? I wonder if she feels the same about Gajeel?" Lucy asked, looking around.
"Oh her, Jet and Droy went on a mission together yesterday" Wendy said and Lucy nodded.
"Hey Luce" Natsu called and the three girls turned to see the three dragon slayers as well as Romeo standing behind them, Romeo seemed to be holding a job flyer.
"Oh I have to go Lucy, Romeo and I are going on a mission, are you sure you will be fine Carla?" Wendy questioned looking at her exceed.
"I will be fine, child, if anything happens I will stay in the guild" Carla assured her ignoring as Happy declared he would protect her.
"So blondie heard you can use your magic again" Laxus said, moving to sit on a chair behind the bar near Mira while Natsu sat next to Lucy and Gajeel sat next to Natsu.
"Yeah having my friends with me is amazing and I could never think of anything better..... But I have a favor to ask" Lucy said, not one to beat around the bush.
"Then ask, bunny girl," Gajeel said.
"Would you two please help me control my celestial dragon slayer powers?" Lucy requested.
"What sort of question is that? Of course we will" Laxus huffed with an eye roll when Lucy smiled.
"Great thank you very much" Lucy thanked.
"Told you they would help," Natsu smirked.
"It's nice to at least ask first" Lucy huffed, sticking her tongue out childishly.
"We can start tomorrow, I'll ask Freed to set up some runes. Plus he is interested after having read about celestial mages" Laxus decided and they nodded.
"It's fine, if he has any questions tell him to let me know and I will answer them as best as I can" Lucy said and he nodded.
"I am going to step outside for a bit, Crux is finished looking into the dragon world information" Lucy said before she got up finishing her drink and went outside to sit against a tree and summoned Crux out

"Miss Lucy it is a pleasure to see you again. Now with our greetings out of the way we can get down to business. Normally this information would be sealed away and no one but the celestial spirits allowed to hear it but because you possess the dragon realm key the celestial king has made an exception" Crux explained.
"Okay so what can you tell me?" Lucy asked.
"It is in fact possible for the dragons to come to this world, seventeen years ago there was a gate that was always opened for the dragons to come and go as they pleased. But then the one that opened the gate got sick and she could not maintain the gate any longer so the dragons, to get rid of the burden on the woman who they respected, went into the dragon realm and forced the gate closed. Because of this they could no longer come back and forth unfortunately the woman still passed because of her sickness so the dragons were not able to come back, this woman was the holder of the dragon realm key at that time and her name was Layla Heartfielia" Crux said and Lucy's eyes widened.
".....M-My mother?" Lucy whispered shocked, she had never known about this.
"Yes your mother, now to let the dragons come into the human world again you would need to open and allow the gate to be opened once again. As the last gate keeper's daughter and also holding the dragon realm key you are the most logical person to do this but you will not be able to do this until you have stabilized your new magic or it could have dire concercencies" Crux warned.
"Okay, thank you Crux" Lucy smiled and he nodded before leaving Lucy with her thoughts before heading back to the guild, keeping the information that she had learnt to herself for now.