Chapter 12: Awakening and confession

Third Person POV
Natsu was asleep, his head on Lucy's lap and his hands wrapped around her hand waiting for her to wake up. Lucy moved a little making the sleeping fire dragon slayer's eyes snap open and look straight at Lucy trying to see if it was a dream.
"Luce? Come on, open your eyes for me" Natsu called, squeezing Lucy's hand and he nearly passed out when Lucy's hand squeezed his and her eyes open slightly looking tired and droopy.
"Luce your awake it's all going to be okay now" Natsu whispered before tears started to stream down his face as he gently hugged her.
"N-Natsu" Lucy whispered her voice cracking from the screaming she had done and not speaking in a while.
"I'm right here Luce, I am not going to leave ever again I promise. I'm not going to let anything happen to you ever again" Natsu promised and Lucy weakly smiled and put her hand on Natsu's cheek wiping the tears away but they kept falling.
"I have to tell the others you just stay right there" Natsu said and Lucy nodded as he turned and walked to the door making Lucy smile when she heard him screaming about how she was awake. She then heard footsteps and nearly could tell all the guild was trying to fight to get into the room.
"ENOUGH!" Makarov yelled standing in Lucy's doorway and everyone stopped and went quiet.
"We will be able to see Lucy soon enough but no fighting, Dr Asha needs to check her over" Makarov said.
"Hey guys" Lucy called out and nearly all of them teared up as they came in pairs seeing the celestial mage awake, even if she was still weak from the cancer and the surgery.
"You're okay Lucy" Erza said, relieved and Gray sighed, sagging into the wall. Soon enough Lucy had seen all of the guild and they reassured themselves that she was fine and Dr Asha told them to leave as she did a check up on Lucy.
"Everything looks good but that was very lucky, you very nearly didn't make it. Your body and magic are weak at the moment so you will need to go through physical therapy as well as learning how to control your new abilities. Also do not use your magic until your body has stabilized, I will make a plan for you to follow but you should be fine to go home as long as someone is with you" Dr Asha smiled and Lucy nodded happily as the doctor left letting out a breath of happiness seeing the young girl bright just like she had been before she had gotten the news of the cancer.

"How are you Luce?" Natsu asked as he came in with some water and a light lunch that Dr Asha had approved of.
"I'm much better now, I'm only sorry for putting you guys through this" Lucy apologised.
"So long as you are alright we don't care" Happy cheered and Natsu nodded.
"We are going to find out who did this to you Lucy and once we do, we are not going to let them hurt you ever again I promise" Natsu declared and Lucy nodded before she grabbed his hand.
"I don't care about that, right now all I care about is that we are all fine and alive still, I am glad that I am fine because I don't want to leave you ever" Lucy beamed at Natsu who gave his signature grin and let Lucy eat but he didn't let go of her hand.
"Hey Natsu, can you help me get back to my apartment?" Lucy questioned after finishing her lunch.
"Are you allowed to go back yet?" Natsu asked, worried.
"Yeah so long as someone is there with me I was looking at seeing Wendy or Levy or Erza to stay with me" Lucy explained.
"It's okay, Happy and I will stay with you, if you want and  if you're feeling up for it we can go past the park and look at the cherry blossom tree" Natsu grinned making Lucy giggle a little.
"I think I would like that, I have to thank everyone that helped" Lucy agreed.
"No need for that blondie, we helped because you are our friend we weren't going to let you get hurt" Sting smirked and Lucy smiled.
"Thank you Sting, how are things with Yukino?" Lucy asked.
"They are fine, I just wanted to see you are alright Rouge and I have to head back to Sabertooth since we were only here to do a job when we heard you were awake. Oh and Yukino asked me to return this," Sting remembered and Lucy took the dragon realm key from him and nodded her thanks.
"Just you wait Luce, everything is going to be fine now, Dr Asha let me know that you start your physical therapy next week. It will give you time to heal and get used to walking again but don't push yourself" Natsu said as he pulled the blankets away from Lucy. Wendy and Erza had changed her clothes so she didn't have to worry about being in sweaty, dirty clothes.
'Natsu, I don't usually see him like this it's nice to see a different side to him but at the same time I want him to smile and make a joke or something like he normally would' Lucy thought watching as the salmon hair male helped her stand on shaky legs.
"Oi flame brain you taking Lucy home?" Gray called.
"Oi what did you call me ice princess?" Natsu yelled glaring and Lucy giggled, making them stop.
"You guys are always the same, while normally I would leave it to Erza to stop the fight I want to get back home in one piece" Lucy chuckled and they both looked at her sheepishly.
"Sorry Luce/Lucy" both of them sheepishly apologised. She kept walking with Natsu's help and the fighting ceased so as not to hurt Lucy who was still unsteady on her legs.

"Luce, let's sit here for a while, let you rest for a bit and we can watch the sunset" Natsu decided as they got to the cherry blossoms and Lucy blinked a little at how romantic that sounded.
"Laxus and Gajeel told me that if I wanted to impress you I had to do this so here goes, Lucy Heartfiela when I first saw you I thought you were just a normal mage but when I saved you from that Bora guy I knew that you had what it takes to be in Fairy tail so I brought you here and you became my best friend. No matter what I did, if it was destroying a town and barging into your room, you didn't react like normal people would, well you would hit me and yell but you still made me feel welcome. I want to tell you Lucy that I love you so much that it hurts my chest, I was so stupid not to realise before when I saw you so upset when you nearly lost Aquarius I knew then that I loved you so will you please go out with me? I never got to ask normally" Natsu said blushing as he rubbed the back of head and Lucy was blushing.
"I would love to date you Natsu, I know I am not the easiest to get along with and I am not the strongest but I love you so much Natsu. When I thought I had lost you and the others to Mard Geer, I was upset and then you nearly left me all alone so I was happy when you came back saying you wouldn't leave me, I love you" Lucy confessed blushing just as much as Natsu and with that Natsu lent towards Lucy.
"Yeah they confessed" a voice cheered and they both turned to see Mira, Laxus, Gajeel, Erza, Gray and Juvia there.
"Really?" Natsu pouted and Lucy giggled before leaning over and kissing Natsu's cheek making the dragon slayer grin at her.
"You should get Lucy back home now and no funny business" Erza glared towards Natsu.
"Yes ma'am" Natsu saluted. Lucy watched as the boys all teased Natsu and the girls commented on how sweet it was though Juvia said about how Lucy was no longer her love rival.
'I may have been sick but I am glad these guys never change. If something happened and I was the reason they lost their happiness I would never forgive myself' Lucy thought before Natsu started to help her the rest of the way home. What none of them saw was the dark glare that was directed to Lucy by not just one person but two.