Chapter 3: First treatment and truth

The next morning I woke up tired still and exhausted but I pulled myself out of bed and headed for a shower having having a coughing fit.
"You okay Luce?" Natsu asked as I came out and I saw he was sitting up in bed looking as exhausted as I felt.
"Yeah just some coughing, I am going to make breakfast if you want to help" I said and he shook his head.
"No you sit and rest, I'll make breakfast" Natsu told me and I nodded before sitting at my table. It wasn't long before Natsu came out with pancakes and we started to dig in, being quiet and awkward.
"It's okay to be upset Natsu, Happy, the rest of the guild and I, we are all upset but we don't let it get us down. We managed to keep it in line so you can do the same thing because I love you Natsu and I am not going anywhere" I smiled and he nodded and gave me a smile and squeezed my shoulder.
"I'm heading for a shower then we can go to the hospital okay?" Natsu grinned and I nodded as he left and I grabbed the dishes. When Natsu came out he had Happy on his shoulder and I turned as we headed out with a jacket on since I was a little cold.

"Are you ready for this Luce?" Natsu questioned looking at me as we stood in front of the clinic and I nodded.
"Yeah I have you guys and the guild behind me, everything is going to be perfectly fine" I said with a cheery smile. The truth was that I was terrified I was actually going to die but I couldn't let them know that, they all had faith and hope I would get better. Don't get me wrong I had every intention to fight my best and try to stay with my friends but there wasn't much hope, I would probably only survive if a miracle happened.
"Ah Miss Heartfelia come with me, you two will have to wait here" Dr Asha called and Natsu looked at me and I smiled before pecking his cheek and gently kissing Happy's head before I turned and followed Dr Asha looking back to see them watching me with longing and I smiled before we walked into the room.

"Now you know how this procedure is going to work, correct?" Dr Asha asked and I nodded.
"Yeah" I whispered before getting changed into the hospital gown and sitting on the bed, coughing making Dr Asha gently rubbing my back.
"Now lay down this is going to put you out for a while okay? Once you wake up again you will start your treatments," Dr Asha instructed, placing a mask over my face as I laid down. My eyelids started to droop and I felt exhausted even though I had only been up for an hour but I didn't fight it and let it drag me into the eternal bliss known as sleep.

When I came to again there was a dull ache in my chest and I could hear voices making me groan a little and peel my eyes open.
"Lushee are you okay?" Happy asked, looking at me and I nodded.
"Yeah Happy I am fine, how are you and Natsu?" I enquired and he beamed.
"Natsu she is awake" Happy yelled and I looked to see the salmon haired male look at me, his eyes bright and lively, the same eyes that I fell in love with.
"I am glad to see you awake Miss Heartfilia, now I am going to give you a few bits of news then start the treatment okay?" Dr Asha questioned with a kind smile and I nodded.
"First off the cause of your cancer, we have been trying to figure it out since normally it is inherited through the family genes but no one in your family for five generations have had magic cancer so we did some testing. It turns out that you have been given the cancer from an outside source" Dr Asha told me and I felt all the breath leave me making me break into a coughing fit. Natsu quickly rubbed my back until I got it under control, glad there was no blood this time.
"What do you mean given the cancer?" I asked, nearly crying.
"I mean that someone had to infect you with the cancer cells somehow and then it mutated and spread. It also explains why you went from being perfectly fine to being sick and then with magic cancer" Dr Asha explained and I nodded numbly looking at my lap where my hands were.
"Do you know who it was?" Natsu growled a dangerous glint in his eyes.
"No I do not, I am sorry there is no trace but moving on there is good news and bad news, which do you want first?" Dr Asha apologised.
"Good" I decided.
"The good news is that you can be saved with some two magical transplants" Dr Asha smiled and my head shot up so did Natsu and Happy's, there was hope after all.
"What transplants?" Natsu asked, looking between me and the doctor, thinking the same thing that I was, there was a chance.
"That is the bad news, the transplant has to be a celestial guardian dragon scale and a celestial dragon lacrima. They are rare and most think they don't exist. Also the only one that can complete this surgery is Polychuca" Dr Asha explained and Natsu ground his teeth and clenched his fist.
"I'm going to go and get your chemo ready so you two can talk" Dr Asha smiled sadly before she left.

"Damnit!" Natsu snapped, hitting the wall.
"Natsu calm down," I scolded.
"How can I calm down?! I don't want to lose you" Natsu yelled at the start but sounded defeated to the end.
"You're not going to lose me, the chemo will get rid of the cancer, it will just take longer than if I had a transplant. It's fine Natsu, it's going to be fine" I said, hugging him as he sobbed and Happy was bawling so I hugged him close as well as being careful of my chest.
"I promise you Lucy I am going to find the celestial guardian dragon and get a scale, I promise and I am going to find that lacrima no matter what it takes" Natsu swore and I smiled, that was the Natsu I knew.
"For now just don't leave me for now" I whispered and he nodded, grabbing my hand.
"We aren't leaving, at the moment you need us. I will send a letter to Yukino at Sabertooth, hopefully she will know something seeing as she is a celestial wizard. Not only that, maybe she can talk to her spirits and they will know something" Natsu said and I nodded and held his hand in a death grip even though it was shaking as Dr Asha came in and hooked me up to the chemo. Getting hooked up to it made me hold back a sob as I felt the poison enter my body. Soon enough I had managed to dose off only to wake up with only a few hours to go for my first treatment.

"How are you feeling?" Natsu questioned and I looked to see Erza, Happy and Gray there.
"I'm fine, how are you? You haven't been here the whole time, have you Natsu?" I asked him worried about him.
"No I made him leave and have some food while you were resting, it will do him no good to run himself into the ground when you need his support" Erza answered and I nodded, smiling a little.
"We sent up a room in the guild for you, Master decided it would be best for you to stay there for now until you are up and used to the chemo. The doctor can come to the guild easier than your house, Natsu will look after your apartment and we decided we would all pitch in to pay your rent for you" Gray explained and I teared up a little.
"Come on, I have heard of this new card game we are going to play to pass the time" Erza said and we nodded as she shuffled the cards and dealt them out.

Two hours later Dr Asha finally came in and asked the others to step out as they unhooked me from the chemo as well as rinsing the port and wrapping it with bandages.
"Now I am going to be going to your guild each day, I want you to take it easy and let your friends help you. If you find yourself coughing up blood or your port swelling and looking infected, let me know straight away no matter the time. You may find yourself getting sick and lacking an appetite but try and eat something even if its something small, you have a long way ahead of you and you need all the support and strength you can get" Dr Asha instructed and I nodded as they others walked in and I got to my feet shakily.
"Careful" Natsu warned as he wrapped an arm around my waist.
"You take care of her now, make sure she eats something and has plenty of rest" Dr Asha said as we left and I felt exhausted even though I had only been up for two hours the chemo was mentally and physically draining.

"You okay Lushee you don't look too good" Happy noticed and I didn't feel it either.
"Guys I think I'm-" I didn't get time to finish as I threw up on the ground in front of the guild and I started to sob.
"There, there let it, just let it out" Erza whispered as Gray held my hair back and Natsu rubbed my back.
"Sorry guys" I sobbed.
"It's fine you go rest we will take care of this" Erza said and Natsu picked me up bridal style once I had finished throwing up and placed me in the room I was to be staying in. It look exactly like my room in my apartment making me a little happier since it felt like home.