Chapter 25 - Hostile Reunion

“I said, kill your mother.” He repeats. His eyes narrowed to mine giving me chills. He smiled yet it means different. Dangerous.

“Why do I have to kill her?”

“Didn’t your mother has given you enough reason for you to kill her? This is just my way of giving you freedom.” He pointed out the sword.

“Pour your hatred into this sword and let her die in your own way.” The Emperor grabs my hand and tried to hand me the sword. It was heavy and the edges grievously shines.

I saw her looking at me nodding. It’s as if she was ready to die and was expecting this to happen. My heart keeps on beating and every beats of it makes me hurt. I looked down trying to clean my thoughts. This woman has made me into a ruthless psychopath. This woman was controlling me so that she can kill any person. But I can’t do this. I’m on my own consciousness and killing someone would turned me into a real murderer.

Sabel gently put her hand on my shoulder and pressed it. “It's fine, she deserves to die anyway. You see, this woman has given you a lot of reason to hate yourself.” She whispered, “For me, this is the only way to live a peaceful life. You can be free. You can even just stay here unharmed. I can take care of you. I can even become your mother if you wanted. I can love you like my own child. After all, I am your closest relative.”

Her words had become an echo in my mind. It keeps repeating and it didn’t end. Without any further thinking, I slowly move forward as if I was compelled by her. Looking at the woman with madness on my eyes. She’s right. This must be the end of everything.

I stop as I reached near her. My birthmark aches again but I remained still as I raised my hand with a sword ready to stab her.

“Stop!”

I turned around to see Leo with his ruined clothes and bruises all over his face and arms. His blood dripped into the floor while he’s gasping for air.

“Leo…” The woman behind me spoke.

“Don’t touch my mother.” He growled.

“What an inspiring reunion.” Sabel rejoices while clapping her hands slowly, “Is this what we call celebration?”

Leo then quickly run to the emperor and kneeled down. “I beg you father, please spare my mother. This is my last desire as your son.”

My mind went shock as I heard what he said.

He gently brushed his hand to Leo’s hair as he looks at him with pity. “I heard you my son, however, there is much important things in the world that I would love to bargain with your mother. She knows that, from the very beginning, after you were born.”

“Are you… my father?” I wondered after hearing their conversation.

The emperor shrugged, “Who knows?”

Then men grab him and dragged him away from the emperor. He fights back. Even on his worst condition, he never stops. I put down the sword as I watch him pinned into the wall while the men were punching him.

“Leo…” I whispered. “Stop hurting him!”

“Leo, this isn’t the fight that you are going to win. Not this time.” Sabel continue laughing.

“What did you do to him?”

“I’m just trying to minimize his power by using that golden bracelet.” She pointed out the bracelet that Leo has.

“It’s a nullifying bracelet that would prevent him from using childish tricks on everyone.”

“Alice! Protect her! I beg you! Protect our mother!” He screamed while trying to endure the punches.

My heart sank looking at him.

“Sabel, stop this foolish things or I will kill you!”

She laughs, “Relax, this isn’t going to kill him, it’s just, he will be back to his original form.”

“What?”

As I look at him enduring the punches, the last blow made him scream hard and fell into the ground, unconscious. I ran into him but the other men behind stops me. My eyes widen as I saw him shrink until he became child. Then it hit me, the first time I saw him, and when the principal said about his age.

“Meet your younger brother, a half dhampir and a half but powerful witch. The son of the former Golden Blood. He may act like an adult but he is just 10 years old.”

With him lying on the floor unconscious made my heart sank into a dark pit. I don’t know what to say, I think, I began to lose my mind.

“Leo! Please… Sabel, stop this foolishness.” My mother cried in pain.

“You know when I can stop Selene. Die, or your son will be gone”

“Stop your lunacy!” I growled in pain. My voice echoed in all four corners of the hall. As I gritted my teeth and I turned to this annoying wicked woman I knew.

“You dared touch my brother, wanting to kill him with your greediness just for the sake of power. Now, I will not let this happen. Not anymore.” I saw her curved her lips and without thinking anything, I stormed in her direction with the sword in my hand ready to attacked her. She easily grabs my hand as she tightens her grip.

“You cannot win this fight, my niece. I cannot let you pierce that sword in me. It’s do or die.” She moves my hand so I can loosen my grip on the sword and landed to the ground. Before I could take it, she throw a punch on my stomach which made me flew to the wall. I gasped in pain as she made her way to me laughing with her annoying voice.

“You know what common mistakes of human is?” She kneeled down and touched my cheeks calmly. “They are fragile. They can easily be played. And you being grown to that human world, you became one of them.” 

“I am not.” I quickly pushed her away. “I am the Golden Blood, and that makes me different.” I could feel this strange energy igniting in my body. It’s as if something just woke up from a long sleep. I even pushed her that hard making her landed on the other side.

“So the little lion woke up, at last.” She grinned, “Must be a fair fight.” Sabel began to stand up as she make her gestures to fight.

I stretched my arm and turned it into a fist. In the hall full of dhampirs, the human strength empowered my soul and the golden blood that’s within me, fueled the wrath in it. With rage, I came running into her with my bare hands. I know basic fights from my grandpa, and this time I regretted that I did not made that event a serious one.

Sabel flew to the ground after I threw a punch, I became more infuriate after smelling my own blood as she breathe. It makes my mind lose control so I quickly ran into her and grab her hand but she swiftly manage to free herself from being caught and pinned me into the wall. “Nice try,” She hold my neck and tightened it as she strangled me upward. “But even you’re a Golden Blood, you cannot escape with this pain.” Her other hand touches my head which made me stiffen, my eyes shuts down.
I saw myself, no, my mother with her eyes shut with golden light, while I’m murdering people, she’s controlling me, use me in a selfish way and made me do dirty jobs for her. And last one, I saw her eyes when Leo has been struggling to fight. It’s his tears that makes her hurt.

“There only one decision which can turn everything in perfect and peaceful order. Kill her and your life will be at ease. No more controlling useless mother and you can own your freedom that your mother cannot give to you.” 

Her words became a clock ticking in my nerves, it made me insane. She pulls me down and I coughs hard. Sabel handed the sword again as she looked at me in the eye. “You will suffer from the rest of your life if you will not do this.”

“Let’s see if it happens.”

Sabel loses her grip the moment someone spoke. And for that moment, I knew I was safe.