viii. kindness

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THERE WAS THE SAME HORN BELLOWING IN THE DISTANCE AS JUNE TORE THROUGH THE WOODS. Her heart was beating the fastest it ever has, and she was pumping her legs as fast as they could go. Sweat was beginning to bead up on her forehead, but she had no time to brush it away. The yellow fog was swirling around just behind her, being the push she needed to keep running. She had no clue what it was, or if it was dangerous, but the urge to cough, the itch on her skin, and the burning in her eyes told her that it was.

June wasn't sure how much longer that they could keep running until the fog kept up with them, but the problem was solved when Finn jumped down the long slope, landing on the door of the vehicle with a loud clang. He popped it open, throwing the door to the side as the others joined him. Clarke went first, and after Wells shove, June tumbled in, landing on her knees. She grunted at the uncomfortable position but quickly moved past the seats that were tilted to give Wells and Finn space to hop in after them.

The door shut after the pair, but June didn't have the time to breathe. "It's getting inside," Clarke informed them, trying to shove a red cloth over an opening. June let out a short cough as she grabbed what looked like a dusty jacket and shoved it over a slightly open seal that had the fog gliding inside. She coughed louder, breathing some of it in until it was finally gone. June fell back, pressing her back against the wall and taking heavy breaths.

As they settled down, after coughing endlessly to clear their lungs, Finn sat up and wiped off one of the windows to peer outside. "It's still out there," he informed the other three, seeing a cloud of yellow swirling above the vehicle.

"Look, we should just make a run for it," Clarke suggested, losing her patience. "Jasper can't wait much longer." June nodded, knowing that he was left at camp with irritated delinquents, and if the injury didn't kill him, someone was bound to.

"Us dying in a cloud of acid fog isn't gonna help Jasper," Finn responded, sticking a bar into a compartment of the vehicle until it popped off. He reached in, moving aside stacks of papers until pulling his hand out with a prize. June craned her neck to see what he was so excited to see, realizing it was a bottle. Clarke asked what it was, squinting her eyes and leaning forward, her legs tangling with June's. "Booze. Hooch. Rotgut."

Unscrewing the cap, Clarke tried to stop him. "Wait, careful, Finn, it could be.." She stopped, watching as he took a quick drink and winced as he swallowed.

"Whiskey, I think," Finn cut her off, his face scrunched as he inspected the bottle. "Better than the moonshine on Agro Station," he commented, nodding towards Wells and holding the bottle towards him in offering.

Wells looked back incredulously. "Alcohol's toxic."

"This is Earth," Finn retorted, arguing. "Everything's toxic. Plus, it's a time-honored rite of passage."