Denmark x Norway - Battle of the Heart and the Mind (Angst I guess?)

A/N: THIS IS HORRIBLE B/C I STILL HAVE WRITER'S BLOCK BUT FORCED MYSELF TO FINISH THIS. IT STARTS OUT BAD, GETS 10X WORSE AT THE END. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
T-T

Also ft. my friend Greemany at the very end of the oneshot XD
Check her oneshots out shes amaazinnn

"We're losing land quickly on the south. They're moving forward rapidly." The commander pointed to the map with a flourish. Matthias swore loudly and kicked his chair.

"We've already been pushed far enough! We're almost surrounded! We're lucky that we still have that small area of land facing the ocean!"

"Yes, well. We have reports. The other side's going to attempt to land a fleet at the southern port, our weak point. All we have to do is intercept them there. Our forces are more than strong enough, but their armies are strategic..."

"Lukas!" Matthias cried, running towards the other boy.

"Ah! Matthias, that hurts!" Lukas winced as Matthias hugged him strongly.

"Oh, sorry. But you just got back and I was worried, I mean I've never seen anyone break a rib before, and I felt horrible since it was my hat you were trying to get back from the tree, that's why you climbed it and all, so it was all my fault!"

Lukas smiled lightly. "Don't worry, Matthias. It wasn't your fault. I was being stupid."

"Okay." Matthias closed his eyes, finally content.

"Sir? Denmark, sir, are you listening?" The commander's voice cut through the memory sharply.

Matthias rubbed his temples with a sigh. "Yes. I'm fine. Continue with the ambush to the south, at the port."

"Understood." The commander saluted and left the room, posture perfect.

Matthias sighed and slid down the wall, onto the floor. He cradled his head in his hands. It was all his fault. The war, the hate. He did not know how to fix it. He did not know if it could be fixed.

He did not know if he would ever see Lukas again, the way he used to be.

However, over the next month, Matthias found that Lukas' soldiers were smarter than his. More cunning. Matthias lost in the north, lost in the south, lost and lost until he had nothing left but a small training camp, with only a few thousand soldiers. He was almost ready to give up, but he could not make himself do so without seeing Lukas first, in person. Without making sure that Lukas still hated him - which was absurd, since he had been at war with Matthias for almost two years.

But Matthias knew he was just stalling. Lukas would show up eventually, with his seemingly endless army, and finish the job. Deliver the final blow. Probably kill Matthias in the process.

And finally, one blue summer day, Lukas showed up.

Matthias jerked his head up as alarms started blaring. The new commander, who had replaced the other one, ran in.

"Denmark, sir, they're here!" he cried hysterically. "What are we to do?"

"Keep yourself calm, Commander." Matthias grumbled, leaving his tent next to the commander.

"Y- yes, sir!"

Outside, it was pure chaos. People were running around, attempting to get their weapons ready, crying and screaming, or frantically trying to call loved ones.

"Everyone! In order!" Matthias yelled. No one really listened to him.

"Stop running around!" he tried again. Nothing happened.