Nyo!Japan x America - Darkroom (WWII)

A/N: Based off of an idea by EternallyInvisible! thanks for the idea you really saved me haha
Also - check out her amazing description!

Set during WWII, Sakura Honda finds herself forced to leave her home in California after the recent Japanese bombing on Pearl Harbor. With only a small leather satchel in hand, she and her family climb aboard a train to Gile River, Arizona, where they were to take residence in the hastily built internment camps. 
 Alfred F. Jones, a jovial photographer working under the orders of President Roosevelt, is assigned to an internment camp in Arizona to document photos on the Japanese-Americans. As he readies his lens for the photoshoot, he finds himself amazed by the perseverance of the Japanese-Americans as they continue their daily lives, as if they weren't living in the camps at all. His interest is especially piqued when he meets a petite Japanese woman, her hands always tightly gripped around a worn leather satchel.

Isn't that just awesome? ^J^
Again, a big thanks to her! Enjoy the story

When Alfred F. Jones stepped foot into the Gila River Relocation Center, he immediately knew it was different. Different from any of the other internment camps, or army barracks, or even the cockpit of a P-51 Mustang - all places he had been, each specially depressing in their own way.

But this internment camp, while not exactly the happiest place in the world, well, it was a far cry from the other stuff that was going on just as he thought that very sentence. No, here children played and laughed, mothers chatted and lounged in the shade, the guard at the watchtower (that's right - watchtower, in singular) lazily flipped through a magazine, and everyone seemed so... relaxed. It would have made Arthur nervous, but not Alfred. He always enjoyed it when people actually seemed happy. God knew it was what everyone needed these days.

"Hello!" A voice called behind him. Alfred turned round to see a tan, brown-haired man in general's uniform nod politely to him. "Welcome, Mr. Jones. Thanks, John." the general now spoke to the bus driver who had brought Alfred over, surprisingly with only one soldier as backup.

The bus driver gave a small grin and saluted playfully (playfully! In a concentration camp!), then turned back towards his bus. "I got a couple of Cokes in the bus, if you want one...?"

"That's alright. After all, Mr. Jones here isn't going to show himself around, is he?"

"I dunno about that, sir! I've always been mighty resourceful, now that I think of it." what Alfred had conveniently forgotten to mention was that he was also mighty forgetful. He didn't even know what day of the week it was.

The general offered a small smile. "We'll see about that. Come with me."

Alfred grinned and waved a goodbye to the bus driver, almost tripping over his backpack for lack of attention to his surroundings. The general waited, perhaps not quite patiently, but at least he hadn't raised his voice. Yes, things were very different here, that was clear to see.

"Breakfast is at 0700, lunch at 1300, dinner at 2000, and lights off at 2130. Showers are available from 1900 to 2100, at five minutes per shower. I believe that's all you need to know right now, though if you  have any questions you can always ask at the administration office." the general checked his watch quickly. "Now, if you'll excuse me..."

"Right! Thanks, sir!" Alfred said cheerily, camera bouncing around his neck.

The general nodded once more, then hurried off in the direction of one of the mess halls. Alfred checked his own watch. He still had a few hours left before dinner - hours that could be well spent surveying the scenery and people. Now he just had to unpack. He cast a hasty look to the tiny structure that was now serving as his home. It was comfy, cozy even, compared to the other places he had stayed while on the job. He was suddenly glad he had decided to accept this assignment - though who would refuse a request from President Roosevelt, he had no idea.