Chibi!Japan & China - Back Then

"What are you doing, onii-chan?" A small, meek voice came up behind Yao. Yao smiled and ruffled the four-year-old Kiku's hair lightly, then looked back in the mirror.

"Just putting up my hair, Kiku."

Kiku gasped, and a look of childish wonder became etched across his face. "I want to too!"

Yao laughed. "Yes, well, your hair's not long enough, Kiku. Besides, why would you want to have to tie your hair up? It's really just extra work..."

"Because you do it. Can you tie my hair up for me?"

Any other time, Yao would have refused, but Kiku seemed so hopeful that Yao just couldn't say no.

"Oh, all right. Stay still, now..."

Eventually, Yao succeeded in bunching up a small bit of hair on the top of Kiku's head and tying it with a small band. To Yao, it looked like Kiku had a small black plant growing out of his head, but Kiku seemed utterly spellbound.

"Wow! Now I'm just like you, onii-chan."

Yao grinned against his will. "Nobody will be able to tell us apart now, huh?"

"Hai!"

"Kiku, what..." Yao turned around, then gasped. "What have you done to your hair?"

Seven-year-old Kiku grinned. "It's just like yours, see?" he said, pointing to the ponytail.

For a moment, Yao stood there, mouth moving with no sound coming out, until he came to his senses.

"Oh, no. No, no, no. Come on." Yao grabbed Kiku's hand and steered him towards the door.

"What? Why?" Kiku's smile faltered.

"We're getting that cut off right now. Why on earth you thought you should..."

Kiku looked hurt, and Yao regretted it for a moment. But he really did look so ridiculous in that ponytail...

"But why? I thought you'd like it..." Kiku asked softly, looking away.

"Because it looks absolutely ridiculous! We're putting your hair back exactly the way it was, thank you very much..."

Yao was so busy hiding Kiku's ponytail from the rest of the world that he didn't notice the tears quietly making their way down Kiku's cheeks.

"Kiku, please stop following me around." Yao turned, exasperated, to the ten-year-old Japanese trailing him. "I have things to do."

"Can't I do them with you, onii-chan?" Kiku looked up to Yao hopefully.

"No! Now go home, Kiku, I have a meeting I need to attend!"

"But why? You used to let me -"

"It doesn't matter what I used to do, Kiku, what matters is what I do now! Don't make me say it again, go home!"

Kiku looked hurt, and for a moment Yao regretted snapping at him. But still, he was very busy. War was coming to China, whether he wanted it to or not, and he simply could not have his younger brother following him to meetings. He had to keep Kiku safe.

"Fine." Kiku said shortly, eyes darkening, then turned and headed back to the house. Yao sighed. Kiku may not like it, but Yao was keeping him safe. The only problem was, he did not know how much longer he could do it.

"What are you doing, Kiku?" Yao asked, confused, to a thirteen-year-old Kiku in front of him.