S. Korea x America - Butterfly (Angst) PART 1

A/N: This oneshot was requested by Kirimilliganhadlen! I hope you enjoy the story. Read the end author's note for more information...

(N. Korea's name is Hyun Jae Song, and S. Korea is Im Yong Soo)

Im Yong

Drip. Drip. Drip.

Im Yong watched as drops of water fell, like crystal, from the stone ceiling to the dirt floor. Seeping into the dirt. Gone, forever. He licked his dry lips and looked up, shivering. There were leaks throughout the whole dungeon. Im Yong was glad that there was one in his cell today. It meant that he did not have to stare at nothing but the same four walls all day. It also meant there had been rain, though he had not seen rain for many months. He wished he could see the rain.

When Im Yong opened his eyes again, the drops changed. They no longer seemed like crystal. Now they looked more like... tears. Tears that fell down from the ceiling to the floor, precisely one second apart. His memories flooded back full force. Alfred's tears as Hyun Jae's army pulled Im Yong away from him. Im Yong's own tears...

He swallowed and looked away. He was no longer glad that the leak was in his room. He no longer wanted to see the rain. Not if it would remind him of Alfred. Not if it would just tear his heart further.

The door opened with a clang. The girl named Chong marched in, blue eyes distant but still terrifying. Im Yong did not know her full name, only her last name, which was embroidered on her dark-green uniform. But he did know that despite her scary first appearance, Chong was really not as bad as the rest of them. She'd never hit him, at least. That had to count for something.

Chong pushed a dirt-streaked platter of watered-down soup and cold noodles towards him with her boot, then turned to leave.

"Wait." Im Yong called. He was surprised by how quiet his voice was. How cracked. He had not used it in months, so he supposed it only made sense. Still, it was an unwelcome change. He yearned for the days when he could yell louder than Alfred. Then again, all he yearned for were the days when he was with Alfred.

Chong looked back to him. "What?" she snapped. Im Yong had never heard her speak. Her voice was hard, but brittle.

Im Yong took a deep breath. He was going to regret this, he was sure. "I want to see Hyun Jae."

Chong finally looked interested. "You do? Finally? Well, in that case. I'll have someone come down to collect you."

Right before she slammed the cell door, Im Yong thought he could make out a ghost of pity on Chong's face.

The guard, a burly and quite stupid black-haired man, sniggered as he pushed Im Yong onto the ground with the toe of his boot. Im Yong's hatred for him flared, though he knew he could do nothing about it. Im Yong craned his head up to the chair. On the ground, he could only see Hyun Jae's boots and her dark-green pants. Somehow, though, he knew she was smiling, in that cold way only she could manage.

"Leave us." Hyun Jae's cold voice rang out into the silent garden chamber. It was detached, unemotional. But Im Yong, who knew Hyun Jae better than anyone alive, could hear that she was practically giddy with excitement.

Im Yong felt the guard nod. His boot moved off of Im Yong's back, and he heard the guard's steps echo to the entrance of the gardens. Im Yong could feel Hyun Jae's stare burning on his back. He focused on the ground, which was a really very exquisite cobblestone. He focused on a dirty strand of his hair that was resting on the ground. He focused on anything but Hyun Jae.