America x England - Somewhere Only We Know (Angst?)

▽

A/N: My first horrible attempt at a songfic. Needless to say, it's awful. Im sorry ._.

Also I made it a kind-of-WWII thing because I could
And I made Arthur the pilot bECAUSE i cOULD (and alfred being the pilot is overdone these days) (and thats what the picture is)

lyrics are in bold, flashbacks in italics

I walked across an empty land

I knew the pathway like the back of my hand

The soles of Alfred's boots dug into dead grass and grey dirt as he trudged through the once-lush field. He'd been here many times. So many times that he could remember even the small bush right over there, or the flower patch that used to be right here. Four years had not dulled the memories.

I felt the earth beneath my feet

Sat by the river, and it made me complete

Once he reached the river, his stomach clenched. It used to be a clear turquoise blue. He could remember the color like he had been there yesterday - maybe it had been only yesterday. But now it was muddy and ugly, with only one small trickle of no-doubt-radioactive water still dutifully running through the small valley which had once been a creek. Alfred moved on, boots squelching in mud as he walked over the empty river.

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

Every step just reminded Alfred of him, of the Brit with blond hair, emerald eyes, and crazy eyebrows. He'd teased him enough times about it, actually.

Alfred stopped suddenly. It was all coming back to him now. But now it was too late. He was just getting older with each passing year, unable to rely on anything but his memories.

"Alfred, please!"

"I can't do it, Arthur! Tell me, when are you going to let me in? Why can't you just..."

"Just what?"

"I'm getting tired, Arthur. Of this war. I just need somewhere to begin my life. Without the bombs, the screaming, the running..."

"And what do you want me to do about that?"

"I want to begin again. With you. But that's the thing, isn't it? I can't! I can't until you've decided to trust me, like I trust you."

"Alfred, you don't get it. I trust you more than... anyone. Ever."

I came across a fallen tree

I felt the branches of it looking at me

Oh, there it was. The tree. The sight of it nearly made Alfred burst into tears. It had not been like this, the last time he'd saw it. It had been standing upright, for one. It had been green, and full of leaves, and... strong. Just like Arthur. 

Is this the place we used to love?

Was this really the tree where Alfred had kissed Arthur the first time? Was it really the place that Arthur had told Alfred goodbye?

Is this the place I've been dreaming of?

Was this really the place that had been the object of so many of Alfred's dreams?

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

Where had Arthur really gone? And why? Hadn't he known that Alfred would need him? Hadn't he known that Alfred would die without him?

The din of the bar, while covering their voices, was getting rather annoying.

Alfred smirked. "If you have a minute, Arthur, why don't we go talk about it... somewhere only we know?"

Arthur listed his head. "But why? We've got a whole night before us, and you know, there's literally nothing out by that tree..."

In response, Alfred wove a hand around Arthur's waist and leaned close to his ear. "This could be the end of everything, Arthur. So why don't we go somewhere... alone?"

Arthur laughed and kissed Arthur, right there in the crowded bar. Even though he wasn't supposed to. Even though he could get in trouble.

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?

I'm getting old and I need something to rely on

Alfred shook his head to dispel old memories, then noticed that he was sitting on the ground and it seemed to be wet. He looked up for rain first, before noticing that the wetness was coming from his own eyes. So he let the tears fall, too old and too broken to deny them any longer.

Alfred watched, shaking with a fear he'd never felt before, as Arthur got into his plane. "This is the end of everything." he whispered, hoping Arthur wouldn't hear him. But he did.

"No, it's not, Alfred. And when I come back, because I will, why don't we go... somewhere only we know?"

Alfred smiled weakly. He had to be strong. For Arthur. "I think... that's a great idea."

"Good." Arthur leaned in and kissed Alfred, once, softly. For goodbye.

Alfred did not want to let go.

"Alfred. Alfred!" The static of the walkie-talkie jolted him out of his thoughts.

"W- what?" he asked, trying to sound okay.

"Look, Alfred, I'm really sorry, but we have to go. Meet me at the entrance of the town in ten."

"Right." Alfred said, too numb to know what he was feeling about that. Whether he was happy or sad to go, to leave Portsmouth behind. "Right, I'll be there, Gil."

"'Kay, good. Over and out."

That memory, that last memory, it really had been the end of everything.

Because Arthur was gone.

Somewhere only we know

Alfred returned over the hill.

Somewhere only we know

He slugged through the river again.

Somewhere only we know 

And made his way through the field.

And finally, he looked back one more time and left the ruined town of Portsmouth, England, behind.

Well I don't know what this was. Angst? Songfic? Idk

A reminder that this is my first songfic so yes, it is horrible

Yes I'm sorry