Chapter 6 - Count Down

*Lucia's Point of View*

"What are we going to do Ian?" I asked as I looked at the city of Pompeii from a hill outside the city. Lately Ian and I's addiction was escaping our problems and leaving the city even if it was just for a little while.

"We'll just have to be careful. We'll see each other as often as possible. We'll meet up outside the city so no one will catch us." He said, fairly unsure.

I started crying and wiped my tears with my sleeve.

"Hey, don't cry." Ian said, wrapping his arm around my waist. "Everything will be fine."

"You don't know that." I cried.

"You're right. I don't. But we'll try our best. We'll get together in secret. No one will know." He said, resting his head on top of mine.

"But we can't keep this up forever." I said, my voice cracking mid-sentence.

"You're right we can't. But we can keep this up as long as we can, then we'll run away and never look back. We'll go to a place with no rules and live happily ever after." He said.

"I wish it was that simple." I managed to choke out.

"Me too Lucia. Me too."

*Ian's Point of View*

I haven't seen Lucia in weeks and I was started to really miss her. I get lonely since I have no one else. We made plans to meet up tonight and I need to make this night extra special. Since her father came home, her parents decided it was a great idea for her to spend a few weeks with him in Rome.

I walked around the market, buying various things in hope that it'll give me some inspiration on what to do tonight. I bought fruit and a few lanterns. I had a few ideas in my head but none seemed that special.

I decided to wing it and to start setting everything up. It was evening and about to get dark soon so I had to hurry. I ran for awhile until I arrived to my destination.

This was going to be good. I could tell.

*Lucia's Point of View*

"Ian.." I groaned. "What are we doing? I'm tired and I want to sleep."

"You can sleep later. We're almost there." He said.

"Almost where?" I asked.

"Here." He smirked.

"Oh my god Ian.. It's beautiful." I said in awe.

We were on the top of a hill right outside the city. There were lanterns surrounding a blanket on the ground. On the blanket was a plate of fruit, fish and ham.

"It's our last midnight snack before you leave." He smiled but still seemed sad.

"It's perfect." I hugged him, wrapping my arms around his neck. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Can we eat now? I'm starving." He said. I laughed and nodded.

"So how long will you be gone?" He asked.

I honestly didn't know, two weeks at least and a month at most. "Two weeks at least. I don't want to go. I want to stay here with you."

He smiled. "I wish you would stay here too."

After we finished our food, we moved our plates off the blanket, laid down and watched the stars. We sat in silence, the only audible noises were animals in the distance.

"I'm scared Ian." I said, breaking the silence.

"Of what?" He asked, turning his head to look at me.

"Everything. Never being able to see you again, having no one to talk to, having my family hate me. I'm scared of a lot of things. Everyone loses in this situation." I said.

He didn't say anything for awhile, he just looked at me.

"Do you know what I'm scared of?" He asked.

"It seems like nothing. But what?" I asked.

"I'm scared of not living in the moment. I'm scared of second guessing every decision I make. I'm scared of not telling people exactly how I feel about them." He sat up and so did I.

"What are you trying to say Ian?"

"I'm trying to say that- I- for awhile now- I don't know how to say it." He gave in.

"Okay. If you can't say it, show me." I suggested.

"Okay. Maybe that'll work." He played with his fingers for few seconds. "I can't do if. I don't have the courage. Count down from 3 for me."

"Okay.." I said.

"3.."

"2.."

"1."