Chapter 19 - Pretend

*Ian's Point of View*

"Lucia?" I gasped as I saw the girl I loved in the doorway.

"Ian!" She yelled as tears ran down her face and she ran to my bed side. She engulfed me in a hug and wept into my shoulder. "I thought you were dead!"

"Lucia.." She pulled back and I looked at her puffy eyes. I put my hand on her cheek. "What are you doing here?"

"What am I doing here?" She laughed. "What the hell are you doing here?" She asked.

"It's a really long story. " I laughed and wiped some tears that fell from my eyes. "My god, it's been forever." I laughed and kissed her with every ounce of passion I had in me.

"What happened to you? I fell asleep with you in my bed and then I woke up and you were gone!" I frowned.

"My mother." She let a few tears fall down her cheeks. "I went to the market before you woke up so I could surprise you with breakfast. Then I was grabbed by a few men and they put a bag over my head. I blacked out and when I woke up, I was in a mansion in Roseville, France. I lived there for awhile until we heard the word that Pompeii was buried. My friend and I went to Rome to meet up with my father and we searched for you for a month." She exclaimed. "How did you end up here? Tell me everything!"

"Okay, when I woke up and you weren't there, I figured you may have gone to the market. So, I waited for you. But when you didn't show up, I went to your mother and she told me that she sent you to a place far away and that I'd never see you again. So, I decided to try to find you so I packed my bag and went to the North Gate. Every gate in Pompeii wouldn't let me through because of your mother's orders. So, I waited." I paused and shivered at the thought of what happened next.

"When Mount Vesuvius erupted.. It was complete chaos. It was a bloody battle to escape the city. That's where most of these came from." I pointed to bruises and cuts on my face. "So, I went to your mothers to beg for forgiveness to leave the city. I had to see you again. I wasn't going to die in that city. So, when I arrived, your mother and I had a little chat."

*Memory*

"Mrs. Aquino, please let me leave the city. I'm begging you! I love your daughter. I need to see her again. And I won't die without seeing her one last time! Please!" I poured my heart out in front of the woman who ruined a large part of my life.

"Ian.." She said kindly. "I can truly see now that you love her. I know I've been hard on you. I just need to know that my daughter will be with someone that is going to fight for her. I'm sorry that I was so shallow and that I couldn't see what an amazing and remarkable young man you are. You've done more than proven yourself." She yelled over all the screaming and chaos of the city.

"Ready to go Mrs. Aquino?" The driver of the carriage asked her.

"Ian, there's only room for one person on that carriage. I want you to leave. Go find Lucia. You're still young. You still have purpose. I've lived a good life and now it's time for me to go." She smiled and gently pushed me towards the carriage.

"Clara.. I can't do that. I can't take your way out of the city. I'll find my own way out. You go!" I yelled.

"You know that unless you have a ride, nobody is escaping out of this city! Ian, this is my dying wish. Find Lucia, marry her, have children with her. Live a good life." She smiled.

I wrapped my arms around her slender shoulders. "Thank you." I whispered.

"You're very welcome. Just please tell Lucia and her father that I love them both." She said.

I pulled away from her. "Of course. Thank you so much Clara. I will live a good life. For you." I smiled and got into the carriage.

"Where to?" The driver asked.

"Roseville, France." Clara yelled. "That's where Lucia is." She smiled and waved goodbye as we drove off.

*End of Memory*

"Your mother saved my life. So, when I arrived at your mansion in Roseville, I was very confused because you and your family were nowhere to be seen. So, I waited two weeks at the hospital in Roseville but when you didn't show up, I accepted the transfer to here where I could get better treatment. I have a pretty nasty infection but I'm getting better." I smiled.

"I was looking for you and you were looking for me." She laughed. "Ironic."

"I don't know about you, but I was a complete mess without you." I smiled and kissed her.

"I was a complete mess without you too. I think I've cried enough to fill the Atlantic Ocean." She joked.

"So, what do we do now?" I asked.

"I'll stay with you until you're okay to leave and then we'll go home together." She smiled.

"Where's home now? I lost everything. My house, everything I owned, any chance I had at finding my parents." I frowned.

"I'm so sorry Ian. We both lost a lot. And to be honest, I don't know what's going to happen next. We'll find a new home where we can live together and make new memories together. We can pretend that nothing ever happened. We can pretend that we actually did run away and that we're living our normal lives." She smiled.

"I'd like that. Pretend that nothing ever happened." I laughed.

As we were both laughing, my doctor walked in. We didn't notice so he coughed loudly. Lucia immediately got off my bed and sat in a chair clearly embarrassed.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt but I have good news. You are no longer showing any of the symptoms of the infection. So, you're free to leave whenever you want." He smiled.

"Thanks Doc." I smiled and he walked out of the room.

"Ian!" Lucia exclaimed. "This is great news! We can start pretending now." She laughed and I got out of my bed.

"Wait, what are you doing in the hospital?" I raised my eyebrow.

"Oh, right! I hurt my ankle but I'm too happy to acknowledge pain right now. I'll get it looked at before we leave." She smiled and stood up.

She limped to the nearest doctor where we learned that she had only sprained her ankle and she'll be fine in a few days.

"Ready to get out of here?" She asked me and I nodded.

I paid my hospital bill and walked out of the place that I've spent a few weeks locked up in.

"It feels so nice to breathe fresh air again." I let out a long breath.

"It feels so good to hold your hand and kiss your lips again." She smiled and I kissed her slowly and romantically.

"I love you so much, Lucia." I smiled as we put our foreheads together.

"I love you too, Ian."