Chapter 18 - Broken Bones

*Lucia's Point of View*

2 months. 2 months without Ian. 1 month of looking for him and 1 month of crying and pain.

I sat on my window seat and looked out at the city I lived in. I never noticed how pretty it actually is. I guess I never noticed because when I got here, I was angry and all the other times, I've been sad. I haven't cried in a week which is a record but I think I've ran out of tears to cry.

I sighed and sat up from where I was. I start pacing lazily around the room. My arms swung around and my legs felt almost numb. It felt good to move around. I'll admit that for a few weeks, I haven't left my room very often and I'm going a little crazy in here. I also admit that I think if I wait by my window long enough, Ian will appear below me and rescue me from the tower I've been locked up in for so long.

I stopped pacing and I stopped directly in front of the door. Today was the day. I was going to go out into the city and breathe fresh air again. I got dressed and inside my closet was a calendar. It was late October now and my birthday was in about a week. It's my 18th birthday, a milestone but I don't feel the need to celebrate.

I walked down the spiral staircase and walked into the living room. My father and Violet were sitting on opposite couches both reading.

"Father?" I said and he put his book down and looked at me.

"Lucia!" He said quite surprised. "How are you?"

"I'm okay. I was wondering if I could go on that trip to Pompeii in a few days. You know, for uh- closure." I smiled for the first time in awhile.

"Of course honey. You can leave tomorrow, if you'd like." He offered.

"That would work perfectly." I smiled. "May I go outside for a walk around the city?" I asked and he nodded.

I grabbed my coat and headed for the door. The crisp cold air hit me as soon as I walked outside. I heard people chatting and a dog barking. I picked a direction and started slowly walking. I looked at all the large houses around me and all the orange, red and yellow trees that surrounded them. I saw a few couples walking hand in hand down the street. I saw a couple of people walking their pet dogs.

I eventually found myself standing in the middle of the medium sized market. It wasn't too busy and there wasn't a ton of selection for food because of the season. I walked around and looked at some of the produce. I arrived to a boy around my age selling bottled wine.

"Would you like to buy some wine?" The man asked. I smiled at the thought of Ian and nodded.

"Oh! I'm so stupid, I didn't bring any money." I smiled apologetic at him. "I'm sorry. I feel bad that I said I would buy some but of course I forgot to bring money." I rambled on.

"It's okay. Have a bottle. On the house." He smiled and handed me a bottle.

"I can't. I can't take the wine from you." I sighed.

"Take it please. Just promise you'll come back eventually and buy another bottle." He smiled.

I looked down at the wine and debated what to do. I know he's flirting with me and I'm one million percent not ready for another relationship but we could just be friends.

"Okay. I promise. But, I might be awhile. I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow." I told him.

"That's okay. I can wait for you." He smiled and stuck his hand out. "I'm Dominique."

I shook his hand and replied. "I'm Lucia."

"Lucia? That's not French. Italian?" He asked and I nodded.