Chapter 24 - Homebound

*Ian's Point of View*

"Dominique!" I yelled excitedly as I saw my friend walk into our base camp. I stood up from my chair and hugged him.

"Hey Ian." He smiled after I pulled back.

"You son of a bitch! I thought you were dead!" I joked and he laughed.

"Not dead. Just got a little lost." He told me as we sat down next to each other.

"Have you heard anything about Samuel?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"He didn't make it Ian. I'm sorry." He told me.

"I kind of already knew that." I paused. "Fuck!" I yelled in anger.

"How did you even know Sammy?" He asked me.

"He's my father-in-law. My wife's father." I told him as I rested an arm on the table in front of me.

"Oh shit. I'm sorry for your loss, man." He patted my back.

"It's okay. It's not like we haven't both lost friends and family before." I told him.

"You're right. Anyways what are we doing?" He asked as he pointed to the wall with all of our plans on it.

"Planning. We figured out where the Romans new base camp is and we're figuring out a battle strategy. We are seriously outnumbered but we have an advantage. But there's a problem that only affects a few soldiers." I told him.

"What kind of a problem could only affect a few of us?" He asked with a weird look.

"Their base camp is in Roseville. Where your family is and where my wife is." I sighed and he looked at me in disbelief.

"Fuck. When are we planning on attacking?" He asked.

"A couple days. I'm going to write my wife a letter telling her about her father and to get the hell out of town. I would recommend that you do the same but I don't know if the letter will reach her in time." I was dumbfounded by the situation.

"Why can't we postpone the attack?" He asked.

"Because we don't know how long they'll stick around in Roseville. So we have to be quick." I explained to him.

There was a long pause from the both of us.

"This is bad, Ian." He sighed and held his head in his hands.

"I know it's bad, Dominique. This battle won't be pretty."

*Lucia's Point of View*

"Violet!" I yelled for my friend as I sat in the lounge.

"Yes Lucia?" She yelled back at me, sounding like she was in the kitchen.

"Can you come here please?" I yelled and soon enough she walked in.

"What's the problem?" She asked me.

"Look!" I pointed to the window.

Walking down the street was two Roman soldiers. Dressed in full uniform.

"What the hell?" She exclaimed. "What's going on?"

"I don't know but I have a bad feeling about this." I told her as I closed the curtains on the window.

"They could just be passing through. Didn't Ian tell you that armies travel a lot? This could be nothing." She told me.

"Maybe you're right. But, I still have a bad feeling." I told her.

"If we still see them for a few days, I promise you that we'll leave immediately and get as far away from here as possible." She smiled at me and I nodded.