Chapter 23 - Tell Me About It

*Lucia's Point of View*

I smiled as I woke up in Ian's arms for the second day in a row. He's leaving today but I didn't care. We got to spend time together and that's all that matters.

I gently placed my head back onto Ian's chest but I wasn't careful enough because he stirred awake.

"Mmm." He said as he raised his arms and stretched. "Good morning beautiful." He said and sat up in our bed.

"You seem happy." I giggled as I sat up beside him.

"Why wouldn't I be happy? I woke up beside the girl of my dreams today. That's a good enough reason to be happy." He smiled and kissed my temple.

"What time do you have to leave today?" I asked him and he shrugged.

"I could leave at 11:59 at night if you want. I just have to leave today." He said and got out of bed. "Why do you ask?"

"Because I want to do something with you today. Something fun." I smiled.

"Hmm. Something fun. I'd love that. God, I haven't had fun in a month." He laughed slightly.

"Are you going to tell me about it?" I asked abruptly.

"Tell you about what?" He asked with a puzzled look.

"The war." I answered.

He sighed. "I'm not sure that you really want to know. But if you want to know that bad. I will tell you. But I won't tell you everything. I don't want you having the same nightmares that I do."

"I want to know. I need to understand what you've been through." I told him.

"Then I'll tell you what you want to know." He said and put on his shirt and then his pants. He sat back beside me on the bed. "What do you want to know?"

"Were you scared when you left for the war?" I asked and looked him in the eyes. For a moment, I thought I could see two soldiers fighting in the whites of his eyes but when I blinked, it disappeared.

"I was horrified. I didn't know how to fight. I didn't know how to be a soldier. I was taught to be peaceful like a farmer or a fishermen. But when we charged into that first battle." He paused. "Something inside me just.. clicked. Almost like something inside me came alive. I was ruthless and I knew exactly what to do and how to do it. I could predict my enemies next move and it felt so good to fight." He didn't look at me the whole time he explained. He stared blankly at the wall.

"How many people did you kill?" I asked, not sure if I wanted to know the answer.

He chuckled. "Honestly, I lost count. Thirty men? More? I honestly don't know." He continued to stare at the wall.

"Is my father alive?" I squinted my eyes at him. This time, he looked me in the eyes.

"I don't know. During our last battle, I lost contact with him and when it was over, I couldn't find him." He frowned.

"How battles have you been in so far?" I asked him.

"Three. The first time, the Roman Empire attacked us when we were travelling in a field. The second time, we were in a town and learnt that the Romans were there too so we attacked. The whole town was destroyed. The third time was a few days before I arrived here. They attacked us again while we were travelling and that was the fight where we lost the most soldiers." He continued to stare at the wall.

"Did you make any friends?" I tried to ask a few happy questions.

"At the beginning, yes. I had to watch them all die. I watched each of them fall to the ground. I couldn't do anything. Nobody could save them. After that, I learnt to try not to get attached to anyone but it's hard. It gets so lonely out there. You need to think like a soldier." He lowered his head.