Chapter 17 - For Ian

(You guys are going to be so unprepared for what's going to happen in the next 10 chapters or so)

*Lucia's Point of View*

I sat in our large carriage and waited to arrive at home. It's been weeks. Weeks of searching, weeks of asking people if they knew where he was and weeks of losing hope.

I had to accept the fact that Ian was dead and that I'd never see him again. He was my everything. He breathed new life into me. He inspired me to be adventurous and to live the life that I wanted to live. With him gone, I don't know what to do with my life anymore. What am I supposed to do? Find someone else? I could never do that. It would never feel right.

"Dad?" I asked for him and he turned his head to me.

"Yes?" He said.

"What are we supposed to do now?" I sighed.

"I don't know, honey. I know your mother would want us to keep living our lives. What do you think Ian would want for you?" He asked.

"I don't know. He'd probably want me to find someone. Live a nice life. Have a family. Go on adventures." I felt a lump in my throat building up. "I don't know if I can do that, Dad." I said, holding the waterfall of tears back.

"I know that right now it feels like you will never do anything again, that your life is over, which a part of it is, but you have to get back on your feet again. Find something to keep yourself busy. Do something that will honour him. We could give him and your mother a funeral." He suggested and I nodded.

"That's a good idea." I smiled and wiped the tears that I let slip from the corners of my eyes. "It'll be hard to let go of both of them." I sighed.

"I know it will." My father's voice started cracking. "But we have to accept the fact that they're gone. We must be honourable for them."

I nodded and held my head high. "For them." I repeated.

"Excuse me Mr. Aquino and Miss Aquino." Our driver said.

"Yes?" My father replied.

"We have arrived in Roseville." He said and I sighed.

This is really it. We've done all we can do. We've given it all we have. I took a deep breath and jumped out of the carriage.

We got our bags out and Dad paid the driver.

"Welcome home honey." He said emotionless as we started walking back to my new house.

We walked for about ten minutes until we arrived. We slowly walked up the steps with our bags and walked into the house.

"Violet! We're home!" I yelled and dropped my bag on the ground.

"Welcome home! How was the trip?" She asked as she walked into the foyer.

"It was- horrible." My voice cracked and I completely lost it. We tried so hard. We tried so hard to find him. Life was unfair and I lost him and my mother.

"Oh Lucia." Violet sighed and enclosed me in a tight hug. "I'm so sorry you didn't find him. I can't imagine what you're going through."

"If you don't mind, I'd like to be alone for awhile." I sniffled.

"Of course dear. Take all of the time you need." She said then rubbed my arm and let go of me.

I walked silently to my room. I held my head high and kept my arms at my sides. I walked into my room and shut the door carefully. I walked over to my bed and fell onto it.

My mind wandered to the first time Ian and I snuck out together. It was midnight and we were at the Sea Gate. He convinced me to steal this little boat and paddle out a little ways into the ocean. I did it and when I was in that small boat, something inside me just clicked. I realized that every problem that I've ever had, could be easily fixed. I found myself wanting to live a carefree life. The kind of life I've always wanted to live.

But now, everything has changed. I have responsibilities. I have to build a good life for myself. I need to learn to be independent. I can't be that carefree girl I've always wanted to be. It's not a realistic goal.

"I have to go to Pompeii one last time.. For Ian." I mumbled to myself.

I walked out of the bedroom awhile later and told my father my last wish.

"Of course honey. Would you like to go with me or alone?" He asked.

"I'd like to go alone please. If that's okay with you." I said.

"All I ask, is that you stay safe. I couldn't live with myself if I lost you too." He said and it brought a few tears to my eyes.

"I promise, I'll do my best." I smiled.

"Then it's settled. When do you want to leave?"