Chapter 26 - No!

*Lucia's Point of View*

It's been a few hours since the house burnt down. I laid in a bush and watched the mansion burn to the ground.

Why did life have to be so unfair? I've lost so much and so many people have sacrificed their lives to keep me happy and safe. And for what? Eventually my luck will run out to and I'll find myself sacrificing myself for someone I love.

I stuck my head out and looked for anyone. When I saw no one, I got up and started sneaking around. I don't know what I'm looking for. A carriage? Ian?

I walked around town for a few minutes. I found myself in what used to be the market. I hid behind a building that was a little on fire. The fire spread quicker than I expected and of course I wasn't paying attention.

"Ow! Shit!" I yelled as I felt a terrible burning sensation on my side. I saw my shirt was on fire and I quickly patted it down. My shirt now had a huge hole and I could see blood and burn marks covering my entire side. I looked up to see anyone that could help me.

Then I saw it. Two soldiers. Fighting to the death.

"Ian?" I mumbled to myself. The body shape was familiar but I wasn't sure. "Ian!" I yelled and one soldier mid-fight turned to me.

It was Ian. He smiled at me weakly and lowered his sword. I smiled back at him but that quickly faded when I saw the other soldier.

"Ian!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. "No! Ian!"

I watched a sword go straight through Ian's chest. He fell to his knees and the other soldier removed his sword from my husband and started running.

I ran to Ian with tears streaming down my face. "Ian.. No.." I cried and held the man I loved with every ounce of heart. He was bleeding badly and blood was coming out of his nose and mouth.

"Ian.." My voice was barely a whisper.

"Lucia?" He said as if he was very confused.

"Ian! Yes, it's me. It's Lucia." I cried as I held him. A thousands thoughts ran through my mind.

"I love you Lucia." He said and then coughed and more blood came out.

"I love you too Ian. I love you so much." I told him with my head resting on his shoulder as I cried.

"We did good considering the odds were always against us." He smiled at me. "Don't think of this as a tragedy but a victory. We got far in this life."

"Ian.. Please no.." I cried.

I felt Ian take his last breath before the wound consumed him. I felt his body go limp as I held him. I stayed there for several minutes. A lifeless Ian in my arms in the middle of the market.

I gave him one last kiss on the forehead.

"Goodbye Ian." I cried as I carefully laid him on the ground. I took one last look at Ian.

"I love you."