Chapter 63

It felt like Fabian had been swimming in darkness for several months by the time he heard distant voices and opened his eyes weakly. Slowly Brandon came into focus overhead.

"Oh thank heavens, sir. I thought you were a goner for sure that time."

"What happened?" Fabian moaned.

"Those people stabbed you and left you for dead."

"Bastards," Fabian said.

"Luckily I learned some healing tricks from Derek. This wound was a lot worse than the one you got from Old Chester. I didn't think you were going to make it, but somehow you've managed to pull through."

"And the legend of Derek continues to grow," Sir Mikael said contemplatively.

"Also Briawny's pretty skilled at stitching up wounds," Brandon said. "It looks like that guy's sword didn't puncture anything important. You got really lucky, sir."

"Luck had nothing to do with it," Fabian said. "Among my many talents is knowing how to take a stabbing in order to increase my chances of survival. At the last minute I twisted my body in just such a way that the blade entered me in the precise location I wanted it to. I will say this hurts like the dickens, though. Anyone got any dreamweed to help numb the pain? Anyone? Mikey?"

"Sorry, old chap," Sir Mikael said. "I never touch that stuff. The body is a temple, after all."

"How long was I out?" Fabian asked as he attempted to sit up but was forced to lay back down due to the excruciating pain.

"Several hours," Brandon said.

"Oh no, those cock guzzlers are probably already at the tower by now. They're going to rescue the princess and steal our reward out from under us."

"Briawny went on ahead to track them," Sir Mikael said. "Young Brandon and I stayed here to make sure you were okay. We had to chase away a few wild boars who were attracted by the smell of your blood and wanted to eat you, but otherwise you've been sleeping peacefully this whole time."

They heard a rustling in the bushes behind them and Briawny emerged carrying a glowing blue stone.

"The tower is only a couple hours down the path. Those friends of yours are already there engaged in battle with the dragon who guards the princess. I also spotted the wizard Delroy casting fireball spells at them from an upper window. It looks like they will be engaged for quite some time, if they are not defeated by the dragon and the wizard. They appear to be formidable foes. But we should have ample opportunity to get to the tower, settle our differences with your friends, vanquish the dragon and the wizard and complete our quest."

"All right, well, first of all, those guys are not my friends so I would appreciate it if you didn't refer to them as such," Fabian said. " Second of all, what in the seven realms of hell is that thing you're carrying?"

"Oh this? This is a magical healing stone I took off a dark elf I encountered on the way back here after I defeated him in hand to hand combat. It should easily heal the wounds in your belly and shoulder." She rolled the stone over Fabian and the pain instantly went away.

"Hey, thanks," Fabian said. "You know what, lady? You're actually okay in my book."

"I was actually going to have Brandon and Sir Mikael leave you here to die while we went ahead and completed our quest, but then I happened to run right into that dark elf and he happened to possess this magical stone, so I guess it's your lucky day. Now get on your feet and help us finish this off. Unless you want me to use the stone's magical properties to undo the healing?"

"No thanks. I'll help. Besides, I've got a little bit of a score to settle with Arrick and his butt buddies."

"Good. Now for goddess's sake, man, put on some clothes. Nobody wants to see that."

Fabian realized he was still naked. He found his clothes lying in a pile nearby. They reeked of piss, but at least they had dried off. He wiggled into them and turned to his traveling companions. "Let's go kick a whole bunch of ass. In the form of wizards, dragons, and douchebags."