24. What To Do, What To Do

The next day I woke up around 3:30 in the afternoon that's how tired and worn out I was. I was still in pain. I couldn't even feel my ass. I tried getting out of my bed but I just laid back down. My grandmother came in the room without knocking of course.

"Leve (get up). A boy named Ant is downstairs for you so get yourself together," my grandmother Mary said. I slightly groaned and slowly got myself out of bed and crawled to the bathroom. Once I got in the bathroom, I pulled myself into the shower and cleaned myself up. After about 20 minutes I finished up, got dressed and trudged downstairs to meet up with Ant.

"You still look like crap," said Ant.

"Thank you for being such a gentleman," I said.

"You're welcome," he said. He got up from the couch and walked to where I was on the stairs and put me on his back.

"It would've taken you another 30 minutes before you got to the couch and I don't get paid to wait on you." I just smacked the back of his neck as he put me down on the couch.

"I should've dropped you on your ass."

"But you didn't. Anyways, what kinda work I got?"

"Well, we got a 100 question math packet due on Monday and a book report on a book of your choice due on the same day and that's it," said Ant.

"I'll finish all of that shit by tomorrow," I told him. "Tell your sister to come with you tomorrow too cause I miss her crazy ass."

"Alright, I gotchu. Do you want me to bring you back upstairs before I go?"

"No, she can walk upstairs by herself but thank you for helping her," said my grandma walking in from the kitchen.

"Well alright then," mumbled Ant under his breath. I just rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for bringing me my things. I'll see you tomorrow." He helped me stand up, gave me a hug and left out.

"Get in this kitchen now," said my grandma. "Now you think cause you almost 18 and you have tete(boobs) you think you grown?"

I sighed. "No grandma, that's not what I think but I have to stay over here once again because the boys always get it easy so......" I trailed on.

"Your parents treat all of you the same so don't make it seem like they have favorites," she said.

I just looked at her over my glasses like really nigga. Of course they have favorites. Every time we got into trouble, I was always the one they sent to stay with grandma until I started acting right while in our whole 17 years of living, the boys have only got sent here a handful of times. I guess I'm the fucking black sheep of the damn family. That's fine by me though.

"It's ok grandma. You don't have to lie to me. You and I both know they are easier on the boys but I don't really care. Since it's already Thursday and I know I'm going to be with you for a while so Monday after school I'm going to go job hunting," I told her.

"Beau, you know that's not the way we handle things ," she said to me.

"Alright grandma, but I'm going to go upstairs and do my homework now and you don't have to make me a plate because I'm not hungry. Goodnight," I said to her as I slowly made my way up the stairs. Once I made it back to my bedroom, I started on my assignments. After a couple of moments, I looked at the clock and saw that it was going on 7:30 pm so I just decided that I would finish everything up tomorrow.

"Karma, your dad is on the phone," yelled my grandma.

"Ok," I yelled back. I looked at the house phone by the bed and just decided I wasn't going to pick up. Since I knew my grandma would try and come up here, I went to the bathroom and pretended like I was using it.

"Karma, why didn't you pick up the phone?"

"I'm in the bathroom grandma. Plus I'm tired so I'll just talk to them tomorrow or something."

"No, now hurry up because your dad wants to talk to you now," she said aggressively.

I threw a temper tantrum in the damn bathroom before I sluggishly walked out and took the phone from my grandma.

"Yes," I said into the phone while rolling my eyes.

"What is this I hear about you getting a job," said my dad. I just looked at the phone with a stupid look on my face. My grandma can never just keep her mouth shut sometimes. Now I know not to tell her shit anymore from now on.

"Hello? I know you hear me," he said.

"I'm going job hunting and that's it," I told him.

"So now you wanna be grown because you mad. Ok we gonna see how long you last trying to work," my dad said.

"Ok. Thanks for the encouragement. Bye." I hung up the phone and laid down on my bed. I dialed Ant's number. I know he was at work but maybe he was on his break. After the second ring he picked up.

"Hey wassup?" he asked.

"Hey, I was wondering is your job hiring?"

"Thank God you asked. They just fired two associates yesterday and some other people just quit so we actually have a couple of positions open. I just made Jax apply last week and she got the job. She starts tomorrow. You trying to work here with us?" he asked me.

"Yes, can you please get me the application?"

"I'll do you something better since I'm the world's greatest bestie and all. I'll fill it out for you and turn it and and give you a recommendation. Just send me your info so I can write it down."

"Thank you bestie."

"No problem. I got 15 minutes left on my break so send me everything now so I can fill it out and turn it in before the end of my shift," he said.

"Alright, I gotchu. I'll see y'all tomorrow." He hung up the phone and I went to my grandma's office next door so I could email Ant all my info. He emailed me back saying he got everything and he'll keep me posted. I went back to my room and into my bed.

"Now they really finna know I'm grown," I said to myself as I drifted off to sleep.