Chan 🦇

Genre : Angst (contains serious subjects such as family abuse, I warned you)
Summary : Chan is falling for the painful beauty.

(Chan's POV)

She's here again. Alone. She's reading a new book again. How many books has she read already ? Probably the entire library soon.

She's sitting cross-legged on the floor. Her glasses falling onto the tip of her nose as she keeps on putting them back in place. Turning the pages of her book seems to be the only thing she's doing aside. She seems on another dimension, her earphones on. I wonder what she's listening to.

She seems calm. She is focused. She is... beautiful.

She's always alone. I wonder if she actually has friends. Does she have a boyfriend ?

Suddenly, she took a look at her watch and left the library. Not taking the time to put her book back on the shelf. That's weird. The book is lying piteously on the floor. She must have forgotten and maybe her family is waiting for her. Yeah that might be the reason.

The next day, she's back. She seems different though. Off. Her eyes don't move as she's supposed to read. They're red and her dark circles are more apparent than usual. Her hair is a slight mess. Tears started to stream down her face, falling onto her book. As soon as she noticed, she quickly rubbed them away with her sleeve. She looked up. Our glances crossed. She noticed my stare and quickly looked back to her book. Great job Chan she thinks you're a weirdo now. Should I talk to her ?

It's now or never.

I sat next to her while she looked at me confused.

« Are-are you okay ? »

Pretty simple. Pretty cliche to ask to someone who was crying. Pretty stupid.
She looked down to avoid me from seeing her crying again. I looked at her book. Her hands. Her arms. And noticed something for the first time since I observed her.

Marks. Bruises.

She noticed my stare once again and put her sleeve down to hid her arms. I didn't know how to feel. I didn't want to realize that someone, somewhere, is hurting her.

« S-sorry »

I started to leave. I knew I made her really uncomfortable and as much as I wanted to stay, to talk to her, to listen to her story, I couldn't.
But she suddenly took my wrist preventing me from leaving.

« S-stay »

That was the first time that I heard her voice. It was really soft, just like her.
I was shocked by her words, but I still sat back next to her.
She looked at me so I looked back. Her eyes. They're even prettier that close.

« My name is Y/N »

Beautiful.

« Mine's Chan »

She smiled. For the first time. She smiled. And she smiled to me. What did I do to be this blessed ?
She took off her earphones and started to get up, putting her book into her bag that I noticed was really big more like a suitcase. She proffered me her hand for me to get up too which I gladly took.
She kept my hand into hers as we left the library.
I didn't know where we were going. I was just following her. I could have followed her anywhere anyway.

We were walking silently. I learnt that she didn't like to talk that much. Not that I mind though.
She took her earphones again and put one in my ear. It was soft. Acoustic. Calm. Relaxing.

After some time, we arrived at what looked like a park. But no one was there anymore. Well it was starting to get late.

« You must be really whipped for me to follow me like that without knowing me
- I guess I am »

She laughed. And it was music to my ears. I want to protect her.

« Can I ask you questions ?
- Go ahead »

I started to think. I wanted to know everything about her. But asking every question that comes to my mind might be rude. So I needed to choose the right ones.

« Who ?
- My dad
- ...Are...-are you leaving ? »

I pointed at her bag. She looked at it, sighed deeply, and nodded.
It was her turn to ask me a question.

« Do you know how to dance ? »

I looked at her, confused. She smiled and put some music on while taking my hand to dance with me.

We danced during the entire night. Laughing and slightly talking to each other.
We decided to rest after on the grass watching the still starry sky.

I felt asleep.

I woke up the next morning. She wasn't there. I was alone in this park. Her bag was gone too.

She left.

I found something in the pocket of my jacket. A small paper on which it was written :

« I'm fine now »

***

« And I, I hope for your life, you forget about mine, forget about mine »

Keaton Henson