Chan 🦇

Genre : Angst
Summary : Escaping your country to survive to the war.

You woke up by the sunlight coming through the window of your room. Well more like the hole in the wall of your room. Since the last attacks, you didn't have enough money and time to find a proper place to sleep at. This was an abandoned little hut where you planned to stay until the atmosphere become a little bit better. The attacks became so usual, even daily, that it was hard to survive day by day. You had to find your own food and everything. You had no one. Well, no one except for Chan. He was your only last friend, last family, last person you loved and cared for. The rest of your family either left the country due to the political situation or had been killed by the recent attacks.

You got up. Every day was a new chance for you to live. But also, as paradoxically as it sounds, an other chance for you to die. Nothing in between. Your dad used to say « live for the better, it's now or never ». It kind of became your motto in life. So instead of complaining about your situation, you tried your best to survive.

You heard a knocking at your door. You froze until you heard the person saying :

« Hey sleepy head, it's me can I come inside ? »

You sighed, relieved, and opened the door, revealing your best friend, Chan. You slightly hit him in the arm, saying :

« Where were you dumbass I was being worried ? »

He looked at you seriously for few seconds. You took the opportunity to take a look at him for the first time in a long one. His eyes were shining. His hair was a mess and his clothes were dirty due to the lack of showering and the rainy weather these days. His dark circles were apparent and he seemed pretty exhausted. He had cuts everywhere on his arms and hands, even on the face. His pale skin looked even more beautiful in the dark area of the room and he looked even more skinny than before. Gosh he is gorgeous. His lips suddenly turned into a smile and he grabbed something from behind his back.

« I brought food »

You smiled back and took the bag full of food.

« Where did you find this ? Don't tell me you went stealing again Chan ?
- Ow come on it's not time to complain, let's eat okay ? »

You sighed. You didn't like the idea of eating stolen food. But as if you had the choice anyway. The stores were all closed and you could definitely not grow your own food there. You nodded appreciating the efforts that Chan was making for you to survive.

You both eat silently. Appreciating the short silence, giving the impression of peace.

« Where are we going ? We cannot stay here for too long, this area of the city is not safe and the hut is not a good place to stay at. We have to find something better as soon as possible. Do you have any contacts left here ? »

You sighed once again. You wish you had. You shook your head.

« I don't know Chan, maybe we could stay a little bit more. I've just settle everything down here and I don't know if I'm ready to leave once again this early. We have nowhere to go anyway.
- Well I know a good place where we could stay for few days only, it's not so far from here and it could be a middle destination until we find something better. I think it's time, I think we should escape Y/N. »

Your eyes went big. Since the beginning, there was always one subject that you never mentioned. Escaping. Until now, you were only trying to survive, not caring about what tomorrow will bring, you only lived to survive. But you knew you couldn't live like that forever. You knew you had to, one day, escape this country to be able to live a normal life, a better life. However, this subject was delicate and you never talked about it with Chan. Escaping means leaving your country, your origins. Will we be okay ? Will we find peace somewhere else ? It was Chan's turn to sigh.