Summer Loving - PP

So today was the last day of my summer class, and I finished all our projects, so my teacher said I could do whatever, so I watched HOCO again😂 and I'm shocked that people don't appreciate Ned's contact pic for Peter as much!

Word count: 1670

Your arm hung out of the window, fingers fanned out, feeling the warm summer breeze. Relaxing your head on the back of the passenger's seat, you hummed along to the Grease soundtrack, faintly playing in the background.

"You're excited right?" Your mother asked you, for the billionth time, "Because if you don't want to stay with your father just tell me - that's how this arrangement works, you only have to stay with him if you want to."

"I know Mom. And I'm looking forward to it, chill," you muttered, looking back out the window. Your parents had divorced last summer, and because of the custody agreement, you spent most of your time upstate with your mother. While your mother ran a business up there, your father worked whatever job he could find. Mom was the breadwinner of the family, and the divorce hit him hard. Alimony could only provide so much after all.

It's not like you hadn't seen your father. When your mom went to the city on business, you would always visit him. But this time, you were staying with him for two whole months. And to be honest, you were thrilled. Your mother had some idea in her mind, that her hatred for the man had been passed onto you too. But after spending nearly nine straight months with her, and barely seeing your dad, you were in need of a break.

He had gotten an apartment in Queens, and was trying to turn his life back around. After he got sacked from his job, he took to hard drinking, the main cause of the divorce. But he was sober now, or so he says.

"And if you see him pick up a liquor bottle - tell me. It's for his own good you know," Mom added, but you hardly believed her. She wanted you all to herself, any reason to prove he was an unfit parent.

"Mom, it's gonna be fine. I know the divorce has been hard on you... but it's been hard on all of us. It's not fair to keep me from dad, just like it's not fair to keep dad from me." You sighed, patting the hand that rested on the clutch. "Really, I'm seventeen, I can take care of myself as well."

"I know you can... I'm just gonna miss you," she said as we pulled up in front of an apartment complex on Queen's Boulevard.

"I'll miss you too Mom. But I'll see you in two months. It's really not that long," you smiled, getting out of the car to grab your bags.

Your dad came booming out of the building, pulling you into a large hug. "Oh Y/n I've missed you so much sweetie!" He chuckled, spinning you around. "Laura..." he said, nodding to your mother.

"Scott." She replied primly, shutting the boot of the car.

"Love you mom!" You called to her.

"Love you too Y/n."

That night, you and your dad ate boxed macaroni, in front of the television, while you watched Seinfeld reruns. After you finished, you volunteered to take the rubbish out.

"Really Dad," you insisted, grabbing the bag from him, "If I'm gonna live here for the next two months, I might as well help out with the chores."

Walking out the door, you looked anxiously around the hallway. Turning a random corner, and hoping it led to the trash chute (is that a thing?😂), you bumped into somebody.

"Oh shi- I'm so sorry," you apologised, picking up the bag you dropped.

"No that's me," He said, leaning down to help you. As your eyes met, he gave you a crooked smile. "I'm Peter by the way."