27- The Heart wants What it Wants

"Here's what's odd about this thing - the guy wasn't chopped or cut into, no incision. But his heart was ripped out of him like a peach pit." The detective sighs.

"Was he robbed?" Sam asks.

"Phone, watch, money all still on him."

"What about enemies?" I ask.

"He was in town for a conference. No local connections."

"You guys had another one of these about, uh, six months ago?" Dean asks.

"Yeah, and we hit a brick wall. We had nothing to go on, really. Thought maybe we got lucky here. [He walks over to a TV.] A park surveillance camera picked up something." The detective sighs.

"Huh. That chubby guy the last person to see the vic alive?"

"Other than the killer. Name's Paul Hayes. We, uh, pulled him in for questioning."

"So what makes you think he's clean?" Sam asks.

"Well, so far, no reason not to. I mean, he said he briefly saw the victim, he ran out ahead, that was it." He reminds.

"What, you mean he didn't fall to his knees and confess to gutting the guy?" Dean asks.

"No. I mean we did a thorough check on the guy, not so much as a parking ticket came up. I mean, look at him. I mean, sure, he can run a little bit, but Thor he ain't. You think he's gonna grab Freddy fitness here and throw him down and rip out his heart? I don't think so. Forgive me if I didn't take him out back and shoot him."

"Okay, uh, so... any idea where we can find this guy?" I ask.

***

"So, he didn't seem like a guy who would be voted most likely to disembowel?" Sam asks.

"No, they never do. [Sam sighs.] Wait a minute. Here's another one." Dean admits.

"What, murder?" I ask.

"And a do-it-yourself heart bypass. Two days after this one."

"What part of Minneapolis?"

"The Iowa part. Ames." He responds.

"Well, Paul was here being questioned. There's no way that could have been him." Sam admits.

"This guy was a cop. [Dean is looking at the Des Moines Herald online. The headline reads "Ames Police Officer Arrested in Murder".] This is exactly what happened six months ago. Minneapolis, then Ames. Guess you missed that one. I'm just saying."

The description reads "Officer Arthur Swensen, resident of Ames, now in Police Custody."

***

Sam is playing a recording of Arthur repeating "K'uhul ajaw, Cacao, shi-jiiy."

"So, what do you think?" Sam asks, pausing the recording.

"Personally, I prefer the Keith Richards version." Dean says sarcastically.

"Can you actually understand any of the words?" He asks me.

"If they are words. Sounds like babble to me. Wait a second." I respond.

"What?" He asks when I pause. We both hear Sam's phone ring. "Mm. (on phone) Agent Sambora. What?" He asks suddenly.

***

"Yeah? Hey, Dr. Kashi. Okay. Thank you. Uh, could you run one more name for me? Yeah - Hayes, Paul. Uh-huh. And the donor? Seriously? How many others? Did anybody from Boulder, Colorado, receive any of those organs? Okay, thank you." He thanks, taking breaks between each few sentences. He then hangs up. "Well, this is gonna singe your axons. She says that both Paul Hayes' kidney and Arthur Swenson's new eye came from - you ready for this? - Brick Holmes."