54- Dean Went To A Boy's Home

"Dee-dawg!"

"Sonny! Good to see you." Dean greets.

"Hey, you, too, brother. (They hug. Sam stands by watching.) Oh, and this must be Sam."

"Good to meet you." Sam greets awkwardly.

"Back at you, brother."

"So, farm looks, uh, nice."

"Oh, please, man. It's barely standing. Only got a handful of kids working around here now." Sonny admits.

"Why's that?"

"Because these days, the system would rather incarcerate a boy than redeem him."

Ruth is wiping down a table nearby.

"Hey, Sonny, uh, you - you mind if we talk alone?" Sam asks.

"Hey, Ruth, would you, uh, please go check on the boys, make sure their morning chores are getting done?"

"All right. So, what's happening?" Dean asks.

"Well, you remember Jack, don't you?" Sonny asks.

"Yeah. The, uh, tough, old leatherneck."

"Mm-hmm. Well, somehow, that ancient, rusty, broken-down tractor just roared to life and ran him over the other night."

"Maybe - maybe it just, uh, slipped out of park or something." Sam suggests.

"Couldn't have. (Shakes his head.) You know, I never - I never believed any of this mumbo-jumbo stuff you boys are into, but... something ain't right."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, just ... things started happening - you know, lights flickering on and off, strange scratching sounds coming from inside the walls, windows and doors slamming." He described.

***

"I grew up in this town. I used to come up here as a little girl. The Wasserlaufs, Howard and Doreen - they used to own this farm back then. (View from above, as if someone is watching them.) My co-worker, Jack, may he rest in peace, he worked here as a farmhand. Howard was a nice man, but... Well, he'd get into that corn liquor, and ... one night he got it into his thick skull that Jack and his wife, Doreen, were rolling around in the hay. It wasn't true, but - but Howard's paranoia got the better of him. He tried to kill them both. Jack got away, but Doreen..." She trails off.

"He killed her?" I ask.

"With a meat cleaver. Got life in jail. Which for Howard ended a year ago. He always swore he'd get his revenge on poor old Jack, and ... looks like he finally got it."

"Is Howard buried here in town?" Sam asks.

***

"Ave Maria" is playing on an old-fashioned radio. We see the outside of Sonny's, then inside, in a bathroom. Ruth's cross is draped on the sink. Ruth is relaxing in the bath listening to "Ave Maria". The lights start flickering but she doesn't notice because she has a washcloth over her eyes. A frost forms on the mirror, and her breath suddenly is visible, indicating a sudden chill. The shower curtain slides on its rings, and then falls over Ruth's face.

She is struggling and screaming, trying to peel the shower curtain off her face.

"Help! Help!" She screams as Sonnyknocks on the bathroom door.

"Ruth, you okay? What's wrong?" Her hand rigidly grasps the side of the bathtub, then relaxes ... with a splash into the bathtub. "Open up! Ruth!" He calls out.