87- We Talk To Dead People

"Yeah. Yeah, okay, just, um . . . just be there. Yeah. Gotta go. (Sam hangs up his phone and addresses Dean) Hey. How did you sleep?" Sam asks Dean.

"Like a drunk baby. What do we got?"

"Uh, nothing. I mean, uh, no weird deaths, no demon signs. There's a Kitsune working some truck stops outside of Boise, but Rudy's on it, so . . ." Sam trails off.

"All right. So, uh, snow day. I say we get drunk and shoot crap." Dean offers.

"Yeah, except we do that every day. Actually, I was thinking about seeing a movie."

"Yeah, that could be cool."

"It's a French movie." Sam lied.

"You mean like nudie French?" He smirks.

"Even better. It's about a mime that's secretly a cockroach."

"Anyway, how are you?"

"I'm fine, he's just kicking every now and then." I respond.

"It's a boy? How do you know?" Dean asks.

"I have the soul stone in my life force, trust me, I can tell."

"How many more weeks?" Sam asked.

"I have no idea when I'll be ready." I remind.

***

"Thanks for coming, Cas." Sam greets.

"Of course. Where's Dean?" He asks.

"This is about Dean."

"Is he . . . ?"

"He's getting worse. Cas, we've gone through every other option possible. We got to talk about-"

"Don't say it." Castiel muttered.

"Do you think I want this? I'm not a fan of it, either. But if we want to get rid of the Mark . . . I'm just saying Charlie's gone radio silent; everything else we've tried has been a dead end. So . . ."

"So I'll drive."

***

"That's far enough, Castiel." A guard stops.

"Excuse me?" Cas asks.

"I have orders. You aren't allowed upstairs."

"Says who?"

"Hold, please. (The angel currently in the vessel leaves, while the door opens a crack and another angel comes out and enters the vessel.) Hello, Castiel." A different one greets.

"Hannah."

"I swore I'd never occupy another vessel, but . . . we need to have this conversation face-to-face."

"What conversation?" I ask.

"What do you want in Heaven?" Hannah asks.

"Metatron." Castiel responds.

"Why? Is this about your Grace? Are you fading?"

"I'm fine for now."

"This is about my brother." Sam cuts in.

"Because you think Metatron might have information about the Mark of Cain?"

"No. We know he does."

"So he says. But Metatron lies."

"Hannah, we just want to talk with him."

"No, you want his help. But we both know the only way Metatron helps you is if he's free. And I can't let the scribe out of his cell. Not again. He's too dangerous." Hannah warns.

"We won't . . ."

"Yes, you will. Because you're desperate."

"After all I've done for heaven . . . after all I've done for you."

"I'm sorry." Hannah apologized.

"You should be!"

"Cas, let's go." Sam dismissed and left with Cas while I stayed behind.

"What did you do to me?" I ask softly.

"When and only when, heaven flips a switch itself. None of the angels did this." Hannah reminds.

"Then what'll happen to me when it's ready?"

"Two angels come down to collect you and you will give birth in heaven."

***

They see the door to heaven open, and they get out of the car and run.

"Go. Go!" Sam was shouting to Cas as they get out of the car.

Sam attacks the angel standing guard while Castiel jumps through the door to Heaven.

***

"Sam-tastic! Miss me? Oh, smell that? That smells like freedom. Well, let's go. I call shotgun!" Metatron cheers.

"You don't get to make demands, Metatron. You're not in charge here."

"Oh, I'm afraid I am. I know about the Mark. I have your Grace. I make the rules. It's called leverage, boys. Learn it, live it, love it. (Castiel looks to Sam, who nods. Castiel pulls out his angel blade, slices Metatron's throat open, and takes his grace in a little glass jar. He heals Metatron's throat and Sam shoots Metatron in the leg.) Ow! Ow!"

"We have your Grace, Metatron. You're mortal now. So you will answer our questions, or Sam will, um . . . What's the phrase? Blow your fricking brains out. It's called leverage, Metatron." I cut in.

"Learn it, live it, love it." How do we get rid of the Mark?" Sam asks.

"I-I don't know. (Sam aims the gun at Metatron's head.) I don't know! No, I-it's old magic . . . God-level magic! Or Lucifer level, but you can't ask him, exactly, can you? She could try but God only knows the results."

"What about the tablets?" I ask, ignoring

"No, Th-there's . . . there's nothing in them about the Mark." He defends.

"So when you said "The river ends at the source," that was-"

"I was just making up crap, trying to buy time till I could screw you over. What?! It worked before." He defends.

"He's telling the truth." Castiel muttered.

"What?"

"Shoot him." I dismissed and Sam aims the gun at Metatron's head.

"No, no! No! Your Grace! I wasn't lying about that. There's still some left. I'll take you to it."

***

"Hey." I greet Dean.

"Hey. How was the movie?" He asks.

"French. What about you? What did you do last night?" Sam asks.

"Played some pool. It was kind of boring."

"All right. I'm gonna clean up."