71- Cole Wants Revenge

"Sam. Hello."

"I think I might have found something." Sam starts.

"Oh good, good." Castiel responds as he coughs several times painfully.

"Cas? You there?"

"It's okay, I'm...um...I'm okay. Go...go on." He lies and coughs more painfully.

"Alright, get this. A "John Doe" who was murdered in Wisconsin a week ago turns out to be this guy named Drew Nealy who went missing from religious order in Northern Ohio...okay?"

"Yeah?"

"Now, Drew Nealy had been missing for 3 years. Killed his wife, his kids...just disappeared. I know it's thin, but...if this guy was possessed..."

"That would make him the first." Cass admits and has another coughing fit.

"The first lead, the first anything we've seen in..." Sam stops himself, hearing Castiel's nonstop coughing

"[coughs] Sorry."

"Actually...you know what...now that I'm looking at this more I think I uh...I think I jumped the gun here, buddy."

"No, Sam, you said it was something." Castiel reminds.

"Yeah...uh...it's...it's not. I was wrong, sorry."

"I can help."

"Cas...we tried that." I cut in.

"Sam...you can't blame what that demon did to your shoulder on me; you were out of..." He starts but Sam stops him.

"I'm not, I'm not blaming anything on you. What happened, happened, and...you need to be worrying about yourself. I really shouldn't have bothered you." Sam sighs.

"How are you, Sam?" Castiel asks.

"Good. I'm alright. I'm just...tired, you know. Be better when we get him back...after...after I kick his butt."

"I miss him."

"Yeah." I agree.

"Why would he just disappear?"

"Who says he had a choice?"

***

"Appreciate you coming down, agents. But I'm afraid you may have just cost Uncle Sam a tank of gas."

"Oh, why's that?" I ask.

"You came up here to investigate Drew Neely's murder, right?"

"Right." Sam confirms.

"Problem is, no one's certain it was a murder at all."

"Okay, then what are we dealing with here? A suicide?" I ask.

"Self-defense, more likely. Uh, the surveillance footage was corrupted. Our techies finally managed to clean up the file. Hold on a sec now... That John Doe right there is the one you want to keep your eye on." He starts.

The surveillance footage starts showing Dean in a gas station reading a magazine.

"Son of a bitch." Sam mutters.

"Watch. Okay, now, porn guy's just minding his own business. And there's Drew Neely. See the knife?" He asks.

"Yeah."

"That's intent right there. Now watch this." Drew Neely jumps Dean in the surveillance footage at the same time as the demon jumps him outside the bar. Both are instantly killed by the First Blade and its owner. "Looks like a cutlass or something. I don't know what the hell this is. Problem is, we don't know if this guy's a hero or a psychopath." He mutters. The officer stops the tape on a closeup of Dean's face and Sam just stares at his brother's image. "That's the image that's getting uploaded to the wires."

"Detective, do you mind if I, uh, take another look at this?" I ask.

"Knock yourself out. I'll be back in a few."

"All right."

Sam. rewinds the tape and slowly goes frame-by-frame on the closeup of Dean. He starts back when Dean's eyes flash to black. Then anger flushes Sam's face.

***

"Oh, yeah. Porn guy was an animal. Bro came at him like, "what?!" and he was all like, "wh-a-a-at?" "say my name! Say my name! Say my name." And there was a lot of blood." Mickey describes.

"Right. Um...When the guy, uh -- when -- "Porn guy" came in, did he...say anything?"

"W-where's the porn?"

"That's all he said? Did he buy anything? Did he -- did he use a credit card? Nothing? So some guy comes in, kills another guy in your store on your watch, and you just -- you what? Just keep on keepin' on?"

"You mean when porn guy was stabbing the other guy to death 10 feet in front of me, and I was having a total code-brown moment in my favorite freakin' pants because I thought I was next, did I conduct a field interview?...No." He asks in a defensive tone. He pulls a phone from behind the counter. "Oh, hey. Uh, can you do me a solid? Found this wedged under the T.P. I think it's the dead guy's phone, and, uh, if you're heading back to the station..."

***

"Okay. Home, sweet home. Breathe. There you go. You good, partner? How's that chicken wing?" A man asks.

"Who are you?" Sam asks.

"First time I broke my arm, my older brother, Davey, had me riding on the handles of his three-speed. Decided to pop us a wheelie, look real fancy for all the little pretties outside the DQ. Well, we were looking mighty good for a little bit. And then, "whoop"" ass end over teakettle, boy. Hurt like a son of a bitch. You're Sam Winchester. I think we both can agree on that. And your older brother, Dean, well... He and I, we go way back." He admits.

"You're a hunter?" I ask, standing from my seat.

"Sure. Yeah, we can go with that. Hunting his brother counts, right?" Cole asks.

"I wouldn't do that."

"Yeah?"

"Trust me. Look, buddy, I-I don't know who you are, all right? I don't what you want or what my brother did, but if you got any sense, I suggest you turn tail and run back to that army recruiting ad that spit you out in the first place. He's a monster." Sam warns.

"Well, he was. Yeah, he was... Many, many moons ago. But now he's prey. And I'm the monster now."