30- Brother Rival in War

"I caught wind of a case on this police scanner. Sounds like our kind of thing." Dean sighs.

"I wasn't even gone ten minutes." Sam counters.

"Okay. That matters why?"

"I don't know, Dean. How about because you haven't said a word to me since Prentiss Island? And now, what? You want me to shut up and ride shotgun and act like nothing happened?"

"You want to talk about Benny? Fine. Let's talk."

"Okay. How about he's a vampire?"

"He's also the reason I'm topside and not roasting on a spit in Purgatory. Anything else?" Dean brushes off.

"Don't pretend I don't get it. I know you had to do what you had to down there."

"I highly doubt you get anything about Purgatory."

"But you're out now, and Benny's still breathing. Why?"

"He's my friend, Sam."

"And what about my friend, Amy? She was what? 'Cause you sure as hell didn't have a problem ganking her." Sam reminds.

"Well, I guess people change, don't they? We let that werewolf Kate go, didn't we?"

"She was different. She - you think Benny's different? He tell you he's not drinking live blood, or something? And you believe him. Wow. Okay. You know, you're right. People do change."

"Yeah. I got a vampire buddy, and you turn your phone off for a year." He brings up.

"Don't turn this on me."

"Look, Benny slips up and some other hunter turns his lights out, so be it."

"But it's not gonna be you, right?"

"You coming or not?" He asks and gets into the car.

***

We walk up to a sheriff's line outside the house and hold up our badges.

"Whoa, whoa. FBI?" The deputy asks.

"Yeah, happened to be in the neighborhood." Sam admits.

"First a Texas Ranger, now you guys?"

"Texas Ranger?" I ask.

"Yes, sir. Right over there." He says, pointing to Garth, who is interviewing a witness. He is wearing a cowboy hat and tasseled leather jacket.

"Oh, you got to be kidding me." Dean whispers.

***

"No EMF. No traces of sulfur anywhere. Like I thought - bust."

"Hold on there, Sam. There's a lot of things to factor in here. Uh, it happened last night, so the readings could be cold by now."

"Good point."

"And, uh, even if there was any sulfur, Barney Fife and his crew probably contaminated the whole crime scene and any evidence that was here with it."

"Wow. He's on a roll." I mumbled.

"That's one word for it."

"Uh, guys, I think I found something." Garth lifts a foot. Green goo is stuck to the bottom of his boot.

"Is that gum, or is that ectoplasm?" I ask.

"Ectoplasm is usually black, right?"

He tastes the green goo. "Mm. [Sam and Dean grimace.] Definitely ectoplasm. [They look at each other.] So, what are we thinking - uh, some kind of ghost, right?" Garth asks.