52- She's a Dog Person

"A case?" Dean asks.

"Yeah."

"You sure you're ready for that?"

"Why would I not be ready for that?" Sam asks suspiciously.

"Aren't you kind of running on empty?"

"Yeah, but the last three nights straight, I had eight hours of shut-eye. For a hunter, that's like 20. Trust me, Dean. I feel good."

"Well, that's great and all, James Brown, but you're still recovering from the trials. I think you ought to pace yourself, you know? And the sooner you heal..." He trails off as I lean against the wall.

"Yeah?"

"I just want you back to your old self."

"I am, Dean. Look, Kevin's back on the heaven spell. Crowley's locked up. We should be out there doing what we do best."

"Yeah..."

"You want to listen at least? [He doesn't wait for an answer.] Okay, great. Taxidermist named Max Alexander mysteriously crushed to death. Nearly every joint in his body dislocated, every bone broken. Poor guy is a human pretzel. You tell me what's got that kind of strength."

"A demonic luchador?" I ask.

"Shop's a couple hours away in Enid, Oklahoma. We should at least check it out. Unless there's some reason you think we shouldn't. You okay?"

No. I have holes in my stomach because of rocks, what do you think?

"Yeah, I'm fine."

***

"His business is funded by hunters, and you know how hunters are. They're selfish dicks who define themselves by what they kill. And as animal advocates, we couldn't stand for that."

"So, you killed him?" Sam asks.

"Of course not. S.N.A.R.T. doesn't tolerate violence."

"Huh. This coming from a couple who spray-paints death threats." I mumbled.

"It was a scare tactic. We just wanted to spook him." Dylan defends.

"Turns out we were the ones who got spooked." Olivia adds on.

"What does that mean?"

Olivia and Dylan look at each other and he nods.

"Well, last night, when we were tagging the joint, we heard this noise." She starts.

"A hissing noise." Dylan described.

"It freaked us out, so we ran out into the alley."

"But someone attacked us."

"Sprayed us in the eyes with mace."

"And it's not like we could go to the cops." Dylan admits.

"So, now we look like total douchebags because we have to wear our sunglasses inside."

Dylan and Olivia remove their sunglasses to reveal blotchy red skin around their eyes.

***

"All right, I'll do it. [takes the glass.] You - you got enough on your plate." I admit.

"Like what?" Sam asks.

"Uh, like... you're tired. You're on the mend. Okay? Plus, you - you've got a sensitive stomach. Last thing we need is you chucking this stuff up. Huh? Doesn't look so bad. [I drink the liquid in one gulp.] I was wrong. [He gestures to Sam.] Come on." Sam hands me a book.
[clearing his throat] Ha! [He reads from the book.] "Deila hér me. Dag eru nou rar vitur orum."