74- Wolf Sisters

"Oh. Well, uh... Where do we start? What with, uh...Logging."

"Ice caps." I included.

"Bitcoin. Yeah. [The Sheriff looks on in scepticism. Dean starts to get flustered.] Obama."

Sam watches the exchange in disbelief then jumps in to save his brother before he makes more of a fool of himself.

"You know what? Maybe -- maybe, uh, you could walk us through the attacks. Any similarities, anything weird." Sam offers.

"Only thing weird about them was how similar they were. Folks torn clean through. Hearts... absent." She described.

"Hearts absent as in --" Dean starts.

"Consumed, most likely." She assumed.

"And there were no witnesses?" I ask.

"Well, the town square attack, the parking lot... Those were real late. But the bar? Hell, with how jammed the place was, you'd think somebody other than Tommy would've seen something."

Dean jumps on this piece of information.

"And what did he see?" Dean asks in a cautious tone.

"Honestly, not much. Now Tommy ain't exactly what we call a reliable witness. And he's telling anybody who'll listen he saw some girl go out back with Barker, and she got torn up, too."

"So there was a second victim?" I ask.

"Well, sure... Except Tommy's a drunk. There's no body, no D.N.A., no blood trail, no nothing to suggest that." A Deputy approaches, handing the Sheriff some paperwork. "Give me one sec."

"Yeah." Both Deputies walk away. The brothers quietly discuss the information they were given.

"Hearts missing. Sounds wolfy to me, right?" Dean asks.

"Yeah. Pretty brazen, even for a werewolf." Sam agrees.

"You think it was the girl?" I ask.

Sam shrugs and turns to his brother.

"Let's find out."

***

"Well, you should also know that working outdoors the way we do, we see some - some pretty weird crap. Stuff that we can't explain. I mean, hell, half the stuff, we wouldn't have believed it ourselves had we not seen it together." Dean admits.

"Well, you don't have to live in this town, mister. You don't have to deal with the ridicule." Tommy reminds.

"I'm just saying that crazy might not be half as crazy as you think."

"[hesitantly] So if someone were to tell you they saw a ghost, you'd...believe that?"

"[looking over at Sam and back again.] Just assume we believe everything."

"[nods decisively] Okay, then. The other night, I was taking a ride past the old Sturges farm. You know, thinking about the rides me and Barker used to go on. I saw her, man."

"[eyebrows raised] Saw her, who?" I ask.

"The girl."

"What, after the attack?"

"Hell, yeah. She was just standing there, all bloody, watching me. So -- so I turn the hell around, I-I ran back, thinking, damn, you know, she -- But...She was just gone. Like, gone."

"[nodding] Like a ghost." Sam mutters.

"[nodding] No, I don't give one red cent in hell what the cops say. She was there. She was eaten. She's a freakin' ghost." He takes another large swig of his beer and Dean turns to Sam raising his eyebrows.