Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty: Night Out {part two}
Cade
***

I had placed my hand at the small of her back as I walked us into the building, and once inside I moved and hooked my arm so that she could take hold of me to steady her balance.

Daisy really was quite elegant this evening and even though I offered my arm to her for stability, it was her small touch that was stabalizing my nerves.

I've always hated these sort of outings as I've never really had anyone to go with, so I avoid coming and end up sending a big check afterwards.

"Alpha Cade." An older man with a young woman sounded. "You honor us with your presence...and with a lovely lady no less."

"Alpha Donald, this is my date Daisy Brooks." I said polietely.

The creepy old perv stepped forward and took Daisy's hand into his "Charmed to meet you Daisy Brooks, I'm Alpha Donald Comerson."

"Alpha Donald...I believe you attended the wedding of my brother Linden Brooks." She said as she delicately pulled her hand away from him.

He pointed at her and smiled, "You are Alpha Hugo's youngest."

She nodded and placed her hand back into the crook of my arm.

Alpha Donald stepped back, "This is my granddaughter Morgan...she was rather kind to give up her evening to accompany me...if you would do me the honor of having a dance with her this evening?" He said, his full attention back on me now.

"I have to politely decline, you see I've promised my exquisite date every dance this evening." I said, "If you'll excuse us, we should find our table."

I didn't waste any time in moving Daisy and I away from him.

"I hope you don't mind." I said feeling bad that I had used her to avoid Alpha Donald's request, "Some Alpha's will do anyting for an advantagous marriage alliance."

"Oh...So he was trying to get you to meet his granddaughter and hope that you two would hit it off?"

I found our table and we took a seat.

"There are various reasons why Weres aren't with their mates, sometimes mates can have wide age gaps, some simply haven't found theirs yet, some rejected, others have passed." I said, I noticed her tension.

But I continued. "For whatever reason one thing remains the same, high ranking Weres need high ranking alliances...these alliances can be made through mutual friendships, respect, and negotiations...the strongest alliances come from marriage."

"Being a young Alpha with a very strong pack, are you often approached with marriage proposals?" She asked.

"I've had a few...and I'm guessing you have as well."

She nodded, "and yet here we are."

"Yes...here we are, I also want to point out that while this is essentially all for a good cause, you will notice that these are the kinds of functions parents will bring their single children to be put on display for other singles to meet."

"Its a thinly veiled auction at best." She said as a server came over carrying drinks. I grabbed two of the flukes and handed her one.

"To a memorable evening."

She smiled and tapped her glass to mine, "To a memorable evening." She repeated before taking a small sip.

__________

Daisy
****

Cade and I sat there as the host of the evening spoke.