Chapter 28

Theo POV

     The whistle blew and I ran over to my coach. He looked really frustrated.

     "Theo sit out," he shook his head, "Your head is clearly somewhere else and it's messing up plays, Harrison go in." I plopped on the bench and sighed. Harrison shot me a smirk before skipping over to the court. I leaned over and put my hands on my head.

     I couldn't get Collae out of my damn head. It was every minute of the day. The moment kept replaying in my head. Why did I break up with her? Why did I push her? I'm an idiot!

  This was our final playoff game until states and I was out of it. This was the worst possible time for this to be happening to me. I hoped the North Carolina coaches didn't think anything of this. This really wasn't good for me. I needed to focus up.

   "Theo," I heard Gabriels voice from behind me in the stands and mouthed to me "What the hell is going on out there?"I shook my head at him and turned my head back to the court. The whistle was blown and everyone huddled together.

"Theo this is playoffs, you're fucking up the whole team! You have to put aside what ever you have going on and start making your shots, not everyone here has a commitment." Don spat bitterly at me looking like he wanted to strangle me.

"Donatai!" Coach glared at him, "That's not how were speaking to our teammates, listen, were going to run this play again, Theo can you make the shot?"

"Let me and Don switch," Everyone looked around puzzled because we never practiced the play like that before, I knew Don wasn't hearing out from Alabama because he didn't make the decisions to do deep shots when I know he can, it would be the best for him.

"Can you do it Don?" Our coach stared at him waiting for a confident answer.

"Yea coach," I knew he was nervous but I knew I couldn't get the shot off today, but I could assist him.

"Okay, were down by two and we have eighteen seconds to make something happen, if you don't get the shot off, get to the rim, follow up immediately, everyone else be on strong d, understand! I don't want this game going into OT!" He yelled.

"Yes coach," we all said in unison and broke off onto the court.

After the whistle blew I dribbled the ball down the court and waited for Don to get open trying to run down the clock, he ran over to the three point line having a very small opening I pre passed the ball and he got there. Having nobody to guard him he took the shot off and it went in. The other team got the ball and attempted a last second shot. It airmailed and the entire gym stadium screamed for us. Everyone stormed the court. I felt a big weight off my shoulders and went to hug Don. My family soon came and hugged me and my mother of course gave me embarrassing kisses. I wasn't as happy as I should've been.

She wasn't here. I wanted her here. I needed her here.

~~~

     "So Theo, tell us what the fuck happened between you and Collae that almost made us lose tonight?" Don grumbled taking a sip of his drink. Me and the guys decided to just chill at Dona's to celebrate, they knew I needed them and needed to talk.

"How do you know it's about her?" I squinted my eyes at him as I downed the rest of my drink. Getting drunk was the only thing on my mind right now. Anything to get my mind off of her. They all looked at me in unison knowing my poker face about her was weak.

"I got Collae pregnant, I broke up with her and I pushed her so hard she fell and hit her head" I blurted all at once. All their mouths fell.

"Theo..." Tommy shook his head, "What the fuck? When was this?"

"Like a week ago," I sighed.

"Bro why you ain't tell nobody?" Don shook his head.

"To be honest I was just dealing with it my own way, but I feel like such a dick," I groaned, "I'm embarrassed."

"You should," Jeremiah scoffed, "I knew you were going to put your hands on her, it was only a matter of—"

"—Jeremiah can you shut the fuck up for once in your life?" Don shouted, "Damn, what the fuck is your problem, he's tryna' come to us, his friends and you just making it worse." I chose to ignore Jeremiah feeling too defeated to even argue with him.

"Why'd you push her Theo?" Jake shook his head.

"She kept punching and slapping me I was just trying to get her off me," I shrugged, "I was just trying to get her off of me, I didn't realize how hard I pushed her." Just to relive the memory made me squeeze my fist.

"C'mon Theo we don't hit girls especially you with your damn strength, no matter how much they get on our nerves," Jake sighed, Jake never talked about Collae much, I didn't think he liked her, but he was here defending her.

"I know I know," My voice started to crack, "I fucking ruined everything!"

"Why'd you break up with her?" Tommy rested his hand on my shoulder.

"Because she's keeping the damn baby! After I told her I didn't want it, I even told her I would pay for an abortion! She was being so selfish and not caring about me at all," Pure silence in the room.

"Theo...that's fucked up, you're the one who got her pregnant, you didn't use a condom and you're mad at her for keeping the kid?" Tommy scoffed.

"I don't want it!" I shouted, "Why should I have to sacrifice my life at eighteen when there's a better solution for the both of us, she is sixteen, I don't understand why she would even think to keep it."

"It's not about what you want you fucking dumbass, Collae is carrying the baby, you really thinks she she gives two flying fucks about what you want? And then, it's your fault! How do you think she feels after you told her you wouldn't be in her or her kids life? That's fucked Theo," Tommy hissed.

"Yeah Theo, this is a new low for you, you don't tell your girlfriend you're leaving her if she's keeping a baby," Don shook his head, "You technically caused all of this for not using a condom."

"Theo you need to apologize not only for probably breaking her heart but for putting your hands on her," Gabe huffed.

"She'll never forgive me guys," I sighed, "I saw a look on her face that's I'll never be able to unsee, and she said she never wants to see me again."

"You're the father of her child, she can't be mad at you forever," Tommy shrugged.

"Thanks guys, I really needed to talk, I'm sorry I had been blowing you guys off."

"Theo we're your friends what are we here for? You a daddy now ," Jeremiah laughed. Even though I was still mad at him for putting in his two cents he was still my friend. He always found someway to make a joke out of a serious situation. He did lighten me up.

"Yeah I don't know how this is going to work out, I'm so scared, out of this whole thing, I really just want my girlfriend back, I think I-I love her," I huffed. Everyone shot each other looks and I froze realizing what I just said out loud for the first time.

"Well Theo," Tommy started, "If you really feel that way you have to tell her, maybe things will change?"

"Yeah don't be a deadbeat Theo, every kid needs both their parents, it would suck if you just weren't in their lives while Collae takes care of him or her while you're doing other shit and enjoying your life, it ain't fair," Don slapped my arm. He was speaking from experience and Don knew about Collae's parents but he gave me a look after saying a kid needs both their parents. I immediately knew what he was talking about and my mind started to understand a little why she would want to keep the child.

"You're going to have to make it work with Collae, I know you're going to school you just have to figure out how you'll see your kid," Gabe chuckled, "We're gonna be uncles boys!" They all cheered and I shook my head.

I was going to be a dad whether I liked it or not.

I had a lot of time to reflect on my choices that I made that day, I realized I handled the situation horribly. I never wanted to hurt the girl that I loved and still do. It hurt me to even think about the fact that there was a possibility I could never hold her in my arms again.