7: Secrecy

I was early to Herbology since Miss Denn dismissed class shortly after her announcement, so I had plenty of time to think

I was early to Herbology since Miss Denn dismissed class shortly after her announcement, so I had plenty of time to think. I sat outside of the classroom, my knees pulled towards my chest. 

Now that my own emotional state was calmed after the near implosion that nearly happened, thinking didn't feel so impossible anymore.

I couldn't believe that Kendra's promised was human. It was completely unheard of! Chewing on my lip, I tried to understand the ramifications something like that would have. 

The council would take her away, undoubtedly.

The worst part was... Kendra just couldn't go forward with this. It was too dangerous. We knew nothing of the intruders and for all I knew, they might even be responsible for the attack!

I had to warn Kendra without telling her why she couldn't go near him. Luckily promiseds never fully bonded as long as the four stages weren't finalised. But if she touched him, the second stage was already completed and the bond already decently established.

I shook my head and looked around the hall outside of the classroom, students all chatting and getting ready for the next lesson. My gaze lingered on the symbols of the door frames. That seemed like something nice and neutral to distract myself with. 

Nobody really knew who'd carved them into the wood, but they were captivating if one actually took the time to look at them.

The symbols etched into the oakwood were plants, flowers, bushes and vines all intertwined with each other. It reminded me that no matter how different living things were in appearance, everything was connected in one way or another. 

Life was an actual, never ending circle. 

The way the vines connected with the petal of a flower—the flower flowing into the leaf of a bush. It continued that way until on the other end of the frame, it connected to the first vine.

One cycle. One life connected to countless more.

But how was it possible, that Kendra's life was connected to someone that didn't even share her race? 

Bonds only existed in the shifter-world, humans weren't known to mate for life. Cross-breeding had never been an issue before. 

Not even a remote possibility!

I dropped my gaze when I felt Kendra's signature before she even came into view. 

Kendra's signature swayed along in her emotions, like a glowing blanket that wrapped around her entire body. A huge smile was already plastered on her face.

There was no mistaking one's promised. One always knew. And Kendra clearly found him. If my own witnessing of it hadn't been proof enough, her aura definitely was.

I sighed. Someone had to tell her not to get her hopes up... I couldn't let my Maecena fall into whatever trap this was. 

It had to be one.