10: Death

My stomach turned and without warning I vomited

Where one might see it as nerves, I knew it was something more. Especially with the way I felt someone encroaching upon my mind--Reece. I had the powers of manipulating and feeling emotions, and he had the power of invading one's mind. 

He's reaching out for me

He knew I hated that. 

That we all did. 

I guess he was like me and used it when he felt the need to, but this was different than me messing with Kendra's emotions. 

Having Reece know about my entire experiences and thoughts... He would want to know things I wasn't even ready thinking about.

Reece forcefully pushed his mind into mine. Normally, Reece's sphere thefts were completely untraceable. More often than not Reece only entered one's mind cautiously, especially if he wanted to avoid his subject becoming nauseous. 

This time, as it seemed, Reece didn't care at all what the sudden mental presence caused to my physical body. I felt his mind oppressing mine, pushing my consciousness back, further into myself. 

Paranoia awakened instantly. 

I didn't want Reece to see into my mind. I didn't want him to see everything that I'd seen. 

Everything I'd heard and said. He couldn't know about Kendra. About Holden. About my promised! 

Heck, I don't even want to know about all of it!

Reece only did this when absolutely necessary—when he needed to see through someone else's eyes or move through someone else's body. We called it sphere theft—or mental theft. Two promised could swap between both spheres but not go beyond that. 

It became possible only after completion of the fourth and last stage, when the souls finally interlocked and became one. 

Reece could do so without being promised—and he could do it to anyone without their consent.

I felt his consciousness continue to push mine further back, as if he were some kind of huge pressure that my mind couldn't handle. It was like being cornered in my own head. My cognitive reactions slowed tremendously, my body actions not fully reacting to the commands my brain gave them. 

Everything inside me slowed down and turned to autopilot.

Going due north, sniffing the air, my body moved. It was one of the strangest feelings in the world, if not the strangest. He used my nose to sniff out where the metallic smell was coming from. 

Blood. 

And it was a lot.

I'm catching a whiff of a lot of blood. Figured you smelled it too. Reece's voice rang in my head, different than if he were right beside me in his wolf-skin.