41: The Second Stage

"What's wrong with her?" Dante asked, staring down at the blonde-haired She-Devil sprawled out on the floor

Her hair stuck to the fair skin of her rather round-but-slim face. It was hard to tell whether she was knocked out or seeking attention. 

If Dante would vote, he'd say she was faking it. He felt his promised though, the way she was scared, and knew that the She-Devil was probably really knocked out.

He suppressed a deep, annoyed sigh. Thinking nothing of it, he wrapped his arm around Kendra and pulled her by her waist into his side. She gasped lightly at the sudden contact but relaxed into him. 

He enjoyed her closeness and her sinfully sweet smell.

Dante felt strangely at peace in that moment. It didn't matter what happened around him. As long as Kendra was by his side, everything was alright. It was a peculiar thing to feel as he watched his eldest brother hover above the She-Devil, his body shaking.

Tyrion and Ryker were both talking to each other about theories, speculating about what may have been wrong with her. Kendra, on the other hand, felt the same as Dante did—although he could detect her worry.

She stood by him for another few moments, which could have lasted for an eternity if it were up to him, until she stepped closer to Catherine.

"She's knocked out hard," she commented, her small voice almost drowned by his brother's bickering. 

But he had heard it as clear as day. It was only her voice that he heard perfectly. All others were muffled, sounding like they were coming from the background. "We should put her on a couch or something."

"Has she been eating enough lately? She's very skinny," Tyrion said, earning a hard glare from Reagan.

"What? She did seem like she was tired and weak."

Ryker nodded his head in agreement. And then it dawned on Dante and he was pulled out of his little Kendra-bubble.

"We should check her for any magae interference," he suggested, shrugging his shoulders. 

He didn't really care what happened to her. But he figured there might have been a good chance that magic was involved and if it were Kendra lying there, unconscious, he would have expected everyone to turn on their brain-cells and go through every possibility. 

He might have wanted to be selfish, but that didn't mean he was.

"That's actually a good idea." Ryker gave Dante a knowing look while Reagan didn't wait another second to grab his promised and carry her in his arms.

"I'll bring her to the healing quarters," he barked, stalking down the hall. "Ryker!"

Dante pulled Kendra back into his arms and watched as Ryker turned on his heel and followed Reagan out of the dining-hall and through the double doors that led to the hallway. Kendra stirred next to Dante again, as if she was only now completely coming out of their strange trance-like state they had both been in.