36: Fear

The person leaning against the wall across from the classroom door was one I hoped I could wish away

The person leaning against the wall across from the classroom door was one I hoped I could wish away. Unfortunately, I doubted my prayers would be answered. The ancient gods and goddesses, whose names had been long forgotten, wouldn't care about my desires. 

They were probably insulted that Everett Valley couldn't even remember their names, if they had any.

The Ancients were always believed to have created the world as we knew it, including Everett Valley, but those pieces of history had always been blurry. Now, centuries past, residents of Everett Valley didn't believe in much of anything. 

The more time passed, the lesser the knowledge in history. Everett Valley lived and breathed that concept. Now, even witches were a myth.

"Acting rebellious today, are we?" a deep voice muttered, ripping me out of my thoughts. 

He lifted himself off of the wall he'd been leaning on and started to follow me.

I ignored him, walking down the hallway towards the main entry of the Iarhus.

"We have to—"

I cut Mr. Angrypants off before he could finish his sentence, "We don't have to do anything. Whatever you think happened, didn't happen," I hissed at him, continuing my aggressive pace towards the exit.

I couldn't wait to be back home. I was close to blowing up in a fit of rage. I heard the door to the classroom open and glanced over my shoulder. It was the one I had just left out of, and Kendra came jogging towards us. 

Why my emotions were blowing up again like this was a mystery to me. It only pissed me off more, thinking about another thing I didn't have any answers to.

She tensed as soon as she caught up with us, trying hard to keep her feelings at bay. Mr. Angrypants clenched his fists, a storm of mixed feelings swelling up inside him.

"What has gotten into you, Feels?" Kendra asked and jogged another few meters until she cut off my path and brought me to a sudden halt.

Angrypants stopped too, staring at the both of us.

"There is a lot going on and this Iarhus and everyone in it is just infuriating me," I said through clenched teeth, hoping desperately that this imbecile of a man would mind his own business and leave. It took me a lot of hard will not to growl at him right now.

"Calm down, C, please," she said, no louder than a whisper.

I held my breath, feeling the emotion coming off her at her words. She was feeling compassion but concern at the same time. When I was about to explain myself, realisation hit me.

"What were you doing, waiting outside the classroom?" I asked, directed towards Mr. Angrypants, who widened his eyes in surprise.

His eyes darted worriedly to Kendra, which instantly confirmed my suspicion. I narrowed my eyes at him, causing him to almost squirm. When he noticed his subtle reaction, he stiffened and folded his muscular arms in front of his equally muscular chest.