24: Deceit

Carrying the cool scent of autumn, wind brushed past my fur, swirling the leaves up into the air

Carrying the cool scent of autumn, wind brushed past my fur, swirling the leaves up into the air. Though the trees were slowly loosing them, they were still dressed in flourishing gowns of colour. Orange, yellow, red—as far as the eye could reach. 

Looking down to where my paws quietly thumped on the ground, the leaves were a ruby red. Some of them were yellow, pointing out like a sore thumb, turning the thicket into a painted sea.

After a while, I slowed my pace and came to a complete stop when a strange smell carried towards me. It took me but a moment to remember what the scent belonged to—or rather who it belonged to. 

Standing at an opening, I waited patiently for him to reveal himself.

A pale-blonde wolf trotted towards me from the other side of the opening. Holden's head hung low, his steps measured and elegant. His body was slim, quite like his human form, with sharp shoulder-blades poking out and long, thin legs. 

His fur wasn't the same golden tone mine was, though it was similar. His mundane hair was a light blond, like pale sand, and so was his fur.

I didn't know if you'd come, his voice echoed in my head, both calm and soothing.

I wasn't sure if I should.

It was the truth. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to put up with his behaviour. I didn't want to listen to more excuses, more cryptic signals. Coming to the conclusion that there was no use in being mad—I figured to Holden, it wouldn't really matter. 

It seemed nothing really did.

He took another few steps and stood in front of me, nuzzling the side of my neck. I closed my eyes, enjoying the closeness and the tingling feelings he ignited. Still, the intimacy felt wrong and it poisoned my heart.

I should have stopped him.

I'm sorry about my behaviour today, he apologised.

Though his apology seemed sincere, there was no explanation that followed. Trying hard to be the bigger person and to truly let go, I reminded myself of what really mattered.

Just when I was about to forgive him, though forgiveness wasn't what I wanted to give, I heard twigs snap and an unfamiliar scent waft through the air, carried by the wind. I had much rather continued to ask him what it was he hid from me, but something about the strange scent caught my attention.

I perked up my ears. Glancing to Holden to see if he smelled it too, he simply waited for my reply. 

Couldn't he smell that?

Sniffing the air, I tried to pinpoint where it was coming from. Or, more specifically, where the wind was carrying it from.

Something's wrong, I said. 

My heart was racing with anticipation. The scent was foreign. There was something about it that didn't sit right.

Strangely enough, it reminded me of sulphur. And with one loud bang, a switch turned on and voices screamed in my head.