37: Breakage

Dante never thought that a woman could be as complicated as that Catherine girl. There were so many things about her that rose questions, questions he hadn't even had the time to really think about. 

His main focus should have been on his own promised—Kendra—but as usual, because of his oldest brother Reagan, Dante had other responsibilities to attend first.

Reagan's issues had always come before everyone else's and that was probably the reason why Dante had so much anger pent up inside him. He needed to stick everything out, wait until it was his turn just to figure out that his turn would never come.

"How is the research coming along?"

Dante took in a sharp breath of air, his heart pounding in his chest as Ryker seemed to have appeared out of thin air. Ryker stepped next to Dante, who was sitting on an old fashioned, wooden chair.

Along its edges was a thin line of plated gold. The square sitting piece was adorned with golden fern-designs. The chair was tiny compared to the grandeur of the study they were in—it had a wooden beam ceiling that stretched further than ten meters until the smaller section of the study moulded into the curve of an 'S'. It was the only room in the mansion that wasn't made of marble. 

The fifteen meter high walls were also made of timber, covered with bookshelves. Most of them were filled with books containing lives that spanned over centuries. Others supported jars, tiny chests, vases and other antiques.

With his heart still slamming against his chest, he said through clenched teeth, "Shitty. I can hardly find anything useful in these crappy old books."

Ryker smiled, fully aware of having startled his twin, and nodded.

"We're all meeting up here in the study tonight. We need to talk strategy," his brother continued whilst staring at Dante.

Dante sighed deeply, displaying the typical distaste towards anything and everything including socialising. He simply didn't have the patience.

"Without me," Dante answered groggily and turned back to the Tale of Silver and Gold, a 500-year-old book—which he'd call a load of crap if it were up to him and not an actual historic book—feeling nausea rise in his stomach.

Where the hell is this coming from?

Dante wrinkled his forehead in confusion, not hearing a word of what his twin was talking about, and tried to breathe through deeply. But no matter how hard he tried to concentrate on regulating his body and calming down whatever it was that had his stomach in a literal twist, it wasn't working.

"Dant—Dante, are you even listening to me?" Ryker placed his hand on Dante's shoulder, causing him to stir and direct his attention to his brother. 

He shot him a glare, glancing angrily at the hand on his shoulder.