19: Exhaustion

His sight moved from staring curiously at me, to longingly at Kendra

Bracing myself for such a colossal impact was impossible. I would have needed hours of preparation, and I didn't even have a single second. 

When Dante stepped into the threshold and his eyes connected with Kendra's, everything came crashing down on me like a brick wall tumbling to pitiful pieces.

Excitement, attraction, confusion. Familiarity. And the feeling of wanting to be complete. It all rushed through me like a drug, immobilising me, making me feel things that I would never feel normally. It nearly knocked me off my feet. 

They flew through my protection barrier as if it had been made of thin, easily penetrable paper.

I watched, my body shaking, as Mr. Angrypants stopped midway and simply stood there, looking directly into Kendra's eyes, as if he were gazing straight into her soul. All the following students threw him strange looks, but walked past him wordlessly nonetheless.

His body posture was just as stiff as Kendra's, they both looked like they'd frozen into ice and been rooted to the ground. The look on his face was strained. 

I wondered what he was thinking.

Then, like rain trickling down from the skies above, a calm sadness washed over me. The rain drops had a familiar signature—they were Kendra's.

She broke the eye contact, just to stare at the wooden floor beneath her feet. With the loss in connection, the emotional impact dimmed and where I couldn't breathe, now I could at least barely breathe. 

Still, it was hard and not very pleasant.

I was exhausted, trying to sort out which feelings belonged to who. Taking a deep breath, I grabbed Kendra's left arm and pulled her with me. She needed to leave this room. 

Hell, I needed to leave this room, if I wanted to live to see another day.

I tried to manoeuvre her past Dante without her touching him, but of course that was exactly what had to happen. Oh, blowing freezing hell of ice fire! Why? Why!

Their arms brushed, and then both of them froze again, staring at each other like two people drowning together, dying, and all that could save them was their bond. Her irises were full of passion, as his were swimming in an endless ocean of desire. 

Aside from feeling like the biggest third wheel in history, there was pitifully little I could do at this point.

"How is this happening?" he asked, his voice husky and deep.

Even my skin crawled at that voice.

"It—" Kendra began, not able to speak properly.

Instead of trying again, she broke off eye contact but this time darted out of the room, straight to the girls lavatories across the classroom.