34: Panic

Thankfully, when I got home my brothers weren't yet home either

Thankfully, when I got home my brothers weren't yet home either. I suspected Reece had been out with Jarred and Emmet was losing himself in a book somewhere.

It didn't take long however until Reece did come. Keeping today's events to myself, I greeted him as if nothing were amiss and started helping him in the kitchen. When the front door soared open and someone, out of breath, came running to where we were cooking, both Reece and I instantly stopped chopping fruit. 

I would have needed an activity like cooking to process everything Reagan had said and the fact I'd spoken to him in the first place... Yet there was little to no time at all now. 

We stared at the fear-stricken beta that stood before us, curly blond hair in a sticky mess. 

His green eyes were large and his rather round face void of any colour. He looked like he'd seen a ghost and as if he were to vomit any second.

"What's wrong?" Reece demanded, his voice laced with authority that mixed with fear and adrenaline.

I noticed Reece's shoulders tense. The atmosphere—which had been so peaceful and calm—changed drastically. Whatever happened was bad. Jarred was more than just panicked. He shook.

Reece was clearly alarmed by his distraught beta, grabbing his arm and sitting him down onto the bench that stood against the wall. I remained standing there, not knowing what to do. 

Jarred swallowed hard and steadied himself as he wrapped his hands around the edge of the table. 

Reece folded his arms and squared his shoulders. 

Closing my eyes, I tried to suck out the strained emotions swirling in the air like a thick cloud of heavy smoke.

My strength slowly drained, especially as I tried to soak the panic into myself like a sponge and release it into oblivion. Jarred relaxed at least.

When I opened my eyes, I saw Reece glaring at me and throwing me a look that gave me the clear message that he disapproved.

Sighing, I took a seat at the little round kitchen-table and watched as Reece followed, taking the chair beside mine. Jarred folded his hands as he struggled to find the right words. Impatience arose in Reece, his knees bouncing up and down.

"I was doing my usual check up on the families, to see if they're doing good, have any complaints or wishes. And then I—I just found the Frey household on their porch," he finally said, calmer and more collected than when he arrived. 

"There was blood everywhere. They... They were all dead. All of them."

Both Reece's and my eyes widened in shock.

This time, I didn't interfere in the emotions that began to fill up the kitchen. I concentrated on dimming the impact of my own. Everything in my body ran cold instantly.