Epilogue: The Council

- a few weeks ago -

- a few weeks ago -

"We're about to witness a few changes," the supreme elder announced, her voice as soft as silk. 

It always amazed Iliria how controlled and strong the elder was, despite her old age. Madame Esmara folded her hands into each other, placing the twisted knot of fragile bones onto the table. Iliria saw the age spots, although there were not many. 

She was only one-hundred-and-forty-five years old, after all.

"I presume you've read the letters I sent over to your homes," she continued, sighing deeply, something she did frequently. 

Dark grey curls framed her oval face while her icy blue eyes went through the round. She glanced at both elders and all six council youngers. Iliria was one of them and probably the most invested.

She cleared her throat and placed her right hand onto the left part of her chest, just above her steadily beating heart. "I have reviewed the situation. I also expect the rest of my fellow members to have done the same. Furthermore, I suggest discussing inconsistencies."

Sir Francis, the immortal elder, frowned upon hearing this. "What inconsistencies are you referring to?"

Iliria felt Madame Esmara's scrutinising gaze upon her, as if she were asking for Iliria to contradict her. She wanted to roll her eyes at Madame Esmara's hostility, but she knew it was a quick way to get thrown off the council. Disrespect in any form was not tolerated.

That woman always took offence in every little thing.

Iliria kept her facial expression stony and neutral. "We haven't seen or heard of any new settlers since the dark ages. It is more than just suspicious we should suddenly welcome some now," she started, quickly being cut off by Nicholas.

Nicholas, one of the two humans representing their kind within the council, placed his hand above his heart like Iliria had. "We should not keep our barriers closed forever. It would be good to have new faces around here."

"They are from the eastern side of the Denhid Forest. They bring a lot of knowledge to us that we would not have access to otherwise," Madame Maxine added, the elder of the humans.

Iliria refrained from scowling. Of course the humans would welcome new humans into their community with open arms.

It was typical. Greetings with open arms but knives hidden in their friendly demeanour, ready to use if the newcomers would prove to be useless.

The keyword was 'knowledge'. It was the only reason they wanted the new family to be allowed safe passage into the village with the possibility of residing here.

Iliria wasn't one to be fooled. And neither was Madame Esmara. "I ask you to let Iliria finish her point," she said sharply, causing the humans to stiffen in their place. Iliria didn't waste another moment and continued.